Just a status note on the progess of the rewrite. This is going to be a fairly long process, but not quite as bad as I originally had expected. Looks like I won't have to actually rewrite as much as I had though. As usual, I don't like to leave everyone in the dark as to how things are progressing, so just a quick note on what has been done so far.

I am going through the program, file by file and rewriting and updating one file at a time. As I am doing this I am adding some features along the way.

First I added a new directory called filters. This directory contains 2 files, badnames and badwords. The badnames file will let you reserve certain names so they cannot be registered. The badwords file works in conjunction with a new variable $config{'censored'}. Any words in a post that match a word in the badwords file will be replaced by the variable you specify in $config{'censored'}.

Next, I added the category specification. There is a hack for a basic way for this on the customization board, but I took a different approach. This required one variable to be added to all URL's and forms called Cat. The Cat variable will let you specify which Categories you want the users to have access to. So if you direct users to wwwthreads.pl?Cat=1,3, users will only be able to get to Categories 1 and 3. They will not know the other categories even exist. They won't be able to search them, they won't be in the Jump to box, and they won't be able to subscribe to them. So you could have one area of your site with Categories 1 and 3 displayed, and another area with category 2 or category 4, etc.

Still have a long way to go, but as I add and change things I will keep an update posted here.

As a side note, I am getting the WWWThreads website totally redesigned and need a little help from anyone using WWWThreads. If you haven't already done so, I would appreciate some feedback on the feedback form at http://www.wwwthreads.org/feedback.html. Some of the feedback will be used in the new site. This will also help me build up the in use section for links to sites running WWWThreads.

---
Scream
http://www.screamingweb.com