hmm,
I see no reason why he can not run a single Ubb threads install under one domain with sub domains linking to the domain with the license for forums, setting up a general discussion area for ALL users and individual groups/ categories or what not for each of his sub domains. I think that would not fail the test of installation on a single domain... IE as I stated in my post

main site www.example.com (which is licensed and owns the forums)
forums www.example.com/forums/


site1.example.com and site2.example.com are only linking to the domain that holds a license and the forums that are there and they would not typically need to be within the sub domain. furthermore he could possible set up a third sub domain forums.example.com with the Installation and license on that domain ONLY with links from the other domains. I do not see how you can limit the number of Other sites out there to linking to a domain that holds threads (such as say google searches or Yahoo or other domains that he owns for that matter)

with the current license asa far as I can tell you may have ONE PHP install on ONE domain which is exactly what my example shows. Linking from another domain (not using a symbolic link mind you on the server side) should not violate the license.

Why would the other domains require a license Charles if they are not running threads???