I fixed it!! Yippie!! It was such a dumb thing! I tried uploading a picture that was small enough that it would appear inline in the post and when I did, all I got in the post was the dreaded red-X. So I right-clicked the image and looked at properties. The problem jumped off the screen and hit me clean between the eyes! The URL to the attachmenets dir had a typo! I left off the ".com" on my URL in the Control Panel, so instead of /mysite.com/forum/attachments/image.jpg I had /mysite/forum/attachmenets/image.jpg. As soon as I went to the attachments section and corrected the "Full URL" entry" to add the .com, then ALL attachments are now working! So, even though the test link for the "Attachment Storage Directory" was passing the test, the download.inc.php script was throwing "Page Cannot be Displayed" because the "Full URL to Attachment Directory" field had the small typo of not including the .com!

I'm happier than a pig in a new mud puddle!

Basil