I'm about to run off to bed soon so can't answer all your questions right now, but #3 is easy enough:

Open up /templates/default/search.tpl

You'll find this HTML similar to this in there. I say similar, because I changed the default to "Newer than 4 Years":
Code
<input type="hidden" name="daterange" value="1" />
{$lang.MAX_RANGE} {$config.MAX_SEARCH_RANGE_VALUE} {$config.MAX_SEARCH_RANGE_TYPE}.
<br /><br />
{$lang.NEWER} <input type="text" name="newerval" size="2" class="form-input" value="4" />
<select name="newertype" class="form-select">
<option value=""></option>
<option value="d">{$lang.DAY}</option>
<option value="w">{$lang.WEEK}</option>
<option value="m">{$lang.MONTH}</option>
<option value="y" selected="selected">{$lang.YEAR}</option>
</select>

To remove the Day/Week/Month, just remove the portion that says selected="selected", and to remove the numeral, just remove the 4 in portion that says value="4" (in my example)

So what you want is this:
Code
<input type="hidden" name="daterange" value="1" />
{$lang.MAX_RANGE} {$config.MAX_SEARCH_RANGE_VALUE} {$config.MAX_SEARCH_RANGE_TYPE}.
<br /><br />
{$lang.NEWER} <input type="text" name="newerval" size="2" class="form-input" value="" />
<select name="newertype" class="form-select">
<option value=""></option>
<option value="d">{$lang.DAY}</option>
<option value="w">{$lang.WEEK}</option>
<option value="m">{$lang.MONTH}</option>
<option value="y">{$lang.YEAR}</option>
</select>

Incidentally, if you just don't like the default, you can change the number to whatever you like, and place the selected="selected" under either DAY, WEEK, MONTH, or YEAR to your liking. I would actually recommend a reasonable default to save users' time. That's why I set mine to the past 4 years to encompass most of the time frame.

--

As for #5, if I understand you correctly, that probably wouldn't look too good -- if you mean that those icons would be placed to the left of the thread title. Because then the titles wouldn't line up and look all haphazard. There can be zero, one, two, three or even more icons there. But if I misunderstood, please let me know. And if you still want that, let us know, too... wink

GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 5.6.40 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 (was 5.6.41-84.1) / Apache 2.4.54
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP