I've got UBB.classic 6.3.1.1, and am having problems with the CPU maxing out for seconds at a time. The board currently has 2,998 registered users, and 336,642 posts on 14 forums.
FWIW - My Classic 6.7.2 had 4534 users, 15 forums, 335k posts on a shared server and didn't run into any problems.
would switching to UBB.threads fix the problem? Threads 7 should be more server-friendly as it uses a database rather than flat files to store all the data. However, I'm not certain that is your problem. Are you on a shared server like I am?
1) Is there a style/theme/etc that will keep the look of the bulletin board similar to the default UBB.classic 6.3.1.1 look I had before?Threads 7 uses a style system that helps you create any look you could possibly imagine for a forum.
2) Will URL links to old posts still work, or if not, is there a way to patch this?After importing all your Classic data into Threads, you can then very easily install re-directors to redirect from the old posts to the new posts.
3) I have EMC Retrospect backup software that makes a copy of the changes to the inetpub directory daily; is there a simple way for it to backup the MySQL/etc data files?Others would know better than I would, but it should be as simple as adding a cron job to backup your files and database.
4) How much would it cost to upgrade, including installation?Rick would have to answer that, after gaining access to your forums. You will first have to upgrade to Classic 6.7.* before upgrading to Threads 7.*
5) How do you remotely install the software? I'm running Win2K; Terminal Services client?Installation is simply a matter of FTP'ing the files, setting file permissions, then running a web-based install script.
6) Does the new version support 'sticky posts'? (The only feature we're missing!)
Yes, Sir. This feature was added in a later version of Classic actually.
Note that I do not currently have MySQL installed, and am running ActiveState ActivePerl v5.6.I'm unfamiliar w/ that environment, but you will certainly need MySQL and PHP installed. You can look at the
Documentation to see which minimal versions you'll need.