The full message headers do not reveal a lot - just my IP and server host's name that tie the email to me.
So, from what you are saying I am thinking that my forum is using sendmail and sending out email as "local" (and in that case so would the "Email Post" function) - and that the other "sending hosts" are using smtp.
Nome of these "sending hosts" show as having any email sent in the Email Relayer stats- the only use who sends email is "nobody" which is the user for the scripts. Those are all legit forum emails - notifications of new posts.
So it appears that these "Sending Hosts" are using smtp to send out email from my server that does not show up in any stats - other than the "sending hosts" stats.
I have no idea how this could be done - I can't find any scripts that shouldn't be there. If I can somehow disable smtp then I should stop my spam problem and it should not impact my forums - does that sound reasonable?