In searching for answers to another topic I read a few posts on security and logging. So I checked my settings and discovered that I had never set up my error logs for MySQL and Control Panel access. While attempting to set up my folders for the logs I discovered a "log" folder already in my "forum" directory already exists but I don't know what it is. I have several questions on this topic:

• What is the log file already in my forum directory? Is there a file automatically set up during UBB installation?
  • What data is in these logs and what program should I use to read them? They are unreadable in Notepad.
  • Where is the best place to store log files, in the forum directory or above the root directory? I do not have permission to create folders above the root but I may be able to put them in my cgi_bin directory or ask my ISP to create a folder for me.
  • When setting up the logs for MySQL and Control Panel are we supposed to use the PATH or the URL?
  • What permissions are recommended for the log folders and files?
  • I have log files dating back to 2006. Should I purge any files and how far back should I begin purging?
  • What is your recommendation for "Maximum Control Panel Log Size" and "Maximum Number of Archived Logs?"
  • What is the benefit to error logs and is this something that is strongly recommended?

Thank You! smile

Ford diesel master technician by day...
Webmaster by night! cool
FordDoctorsDTS.com running UBB Threads 7.5.4.2p2