Out of curiosity, is the particular forum it's stalling on excessively large compared to the first two? It took my forums like 11 hours to import from Classic if I remember correctly, so maybe it's actually not stalling? (I would think a Threads-to-Threads import would be a little quicker, though).
Good point but it is just at the step that imports the forum definition and not the contents. The w3t_Boards table only has about 30 rows in it (one per forum). It imports three rows from this table and stops (I left it for 30 minutes and nothing else happened). It is the same three forums each time I tried. Looking at the data I don't why these three are being chosen. Without that information I can't determine what what the next row is and examine that for problems.
The 6.5 board is still running on another server. I'm going to close it and copy over the data again to see if that affects the import.