I run a very small hosting company, I'm not trying to pick up any new customers here so I will not mention the name or web address but...
I find these days that these large hosting companies will sell so low that companies my size can't afford to even give it away at their prices. These companies give it at less then $8 USD Per month. They tell you that your stuff is unrestricted in pretty much every way but when your running any type of application like UBB or PHP or what not then they suspend your account for CPU and Database usage more often then not.
These suspensions come at a price causing your online communities to suffer and loose traffic and users in the long term. Everything is automated and will clip your site in a heartbeat. I have been a member of another community for some time and quite often I go in and the site is suspended for CPU usage and so on. I mentioned my company to the person who owns the site and I was told that the price he is getting is a great price and my prices are too high and so on.
The moral of the post is that if your paying bottom dollar for your web hosting through some major corporation and they suspend your site for CPU and database usage then don't gripe as your getting the corporate treatment, nothing personal here they treat everyone like crap.
The smaller hosting companies will give you tons more latitude and resources and most likely glad to have you on board with them.