http://newflyer.com/index/news-app/story.59

Well, it has been almost a year since I posted the thread about ABQ RIDE ordering new buses. So far, the new buses have been great. Well, ABQ RIDE is now ordering more new diesel-electric hybrid buses from New Flyer, including 32 40-foot buses and six 60-foot articulated buses.

Currently, ABQ RIDE operates a fleet of 58 40-foot New Flyer hybrid buses and 18 New Flyer hybrid buses. I wonder if the additional 40-foot buses being ordered will replace any older buses in the fleet. The 58 40-foot New Flyer hybrids delivered in late 2007 and early 2008 replaced a fleet of old TMC RTS buses without wheelchair lifts from 1989. Currently, the oldest buses in the ABQ RIDE fleet are the Neoplan AN440 CNG buses, delivered in 1996.

Also, of interesting note, ABQ RIDE has also signed options for 68 40-foot buses and 94 60-foot articluated buses. While the number of options for the 40-foot buses seems realistic, I wonder what would ABQ RIDE do with 94 60-foot articulated buses. I understand that the Rapid Ride program has been a success, and maybe the city will introduce more Rapid Ride routes or put some articulated buses on some regular local routes (such as the Route 66 Central Avenue).