Well, you'll want say 256-512mb dedicated ram (we use 384mb ram with a 1gb swap space) and say 10-20gb space? Depends on your needs really...

I myself prefer CentOS for servers (it's a debranded RedHat Enterprise Linux, some places may also have Fedora which is also a RedHat varient).

If you use CentOS (or a redhat clone) it's as easy as typing: yum install apache, etc. You may consider hiring someone to setup the server for you...

Myself, I prefer using Google Apps for my email; think of it, your server goes down you're screwed for access; whereas google has numerous backup servers (and it's free, and you get like 500 email accounts with pop3/imap/smtp); which frees up your server from having to host email (and spamfilters).

I use Webmin and Virtualmin to manage my server; why? they're free for starters tongue.

as for costs, well, if you hire someone to setup your server there would be that, but picking something to run it (server software other than webmin) can cost...


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!