More questions:
  • What is a fully Managed VPS? Many of you here work in the industry or are IT guys but someone like myself who has limited knowledge and experience having the hosting company "take care" of running the server is a plus. I can only assume that is what managed implies. I do understand the advantages to having full control though.
  • VPS packages offer a choice of operating systems; CentOS, Fedora, SUSE, Debian - is there a most common or preferred OS?
  • There are also choices in control panels like WebMin, Plesk and cPanel. Are there differences other than preference? cPanel looks simple and easy to use.
  • Ruben Rocha mentioned to me that some hosts have a tool to allow a client to upgrade from a shared hosting plan to a VPS plan. Since I don't think I have a need for a VPS, (YET) the option is attractive. Is this common for a hosting company even if they don't itemize this option or is this really not that big of a deal?
  • Guaranteed RAM: what is the recommended minimum where a choice is a deciding factor? 128 MBs? 256 MBs? More?

You guys are awesome with the advice you offer the members here. Although you won't know what the results are going to be until you get there, I feel more confident in making an informed choice. I have narrowed my choices down to inmotionhosting.com, hostgator.com and am taking another look at webintellects.com and I suppose I will leave network Solutions as my registrar for the moment and figure that out once I straighten out my hosting.

Ford diesel master technician by day...
Webmaster by night! cool
FordDoctorsDTS.com running UBB Threads 7.5.4.2p2