Ok, I don't think I'm being very clear. Let me explain it this way...

Lets say I have a wild game recipe forum and I want to list the threads on that forum in alphabetical order so people could find what they want easily without reading the subject of every post on the forum.

If the subject line of the threads could be arranged in alphabetical order, it would look something like this....

Bread... Dutch oven biscuits
Bread... Aunt Jane's blueberry muffins
Fish... Broiled halibut
Fish... Deep fried catfish
Fish... Grandmas beer batter bass
Fish... Salmon cheese ball
Venison... Fried backstraps
Venison... Roasted with cream of mushroom soup
Venison... Uncle Jack's stew

This would also be a great way to organize threads in archive files in a how-to forum with varied subjects. However, if the forum is not organized in aphabetical order, it doesn't work well, and that's the problem I have.