Two years after the last post, I'm curious if there is any way to speed up this import process.

I am trying to import a board that was running an old version of Classic for years and years, so I upgraded it over the weekend to 6.7.3 - which went reasonably smoothly except for the very long downtime to rebuild member post histories, search index....all those things we love about Classic. wink

Then I installed Threads 7.5.3, downloaded the Classic upgrader from Classic and started an import. Since this is just testing, I left the board running, even after reading the posts warning about that.

The import started just over 24 hours ago and has imported 517,000 posts out of 1,524,939. So we have about 2 days more to go. cry

I've tried increasing the MAX_POSTS_PER_PAGE, etc; thinking that would get more done on each refresh and avoid the overhead of script startup, but it does not seem to make much difference.

If I shut down the board I suppose it would go somewhat faster with less server load, but even overnight when nobody was online it wasn't much faster. I am on a dedicated server with only one other very low-resource site hosted.

Is there a unix shell version available as mentioned at the top of this thread?

Or, is there any way / mod to only import threads with posts after a given date/time?

Could I:
  • shut down the Classic board and back it up (tar...),
  • delete all posts on the Classic board made subsequent to the time the test import began
  • then re-import again, just picking up the updates? I would have to manually delete those topics in the Threads board before the update, but that would not be so hard.

We really don't want to be down 3 or 4 days for a software upgrade.....

Thanks!

Dave Kandz (rbdigital)