I've been trying to wait on this request for Version 8 to come out, to see if it would handle it, but I think I really need to find SOME way to get this working on 7. It is really killing our traffic.
We used to have the sidebar of our BellaOnline.com forum show all recent posts. It really made for lively conversations and back-and-forth. However, we have a few 'games' that run in the forums and they would often end up being the ones that featured, which then interrupted the actual discussion forums. After a number of discussions in here about ways we could handle this, we finally went to a layout where we showed recent brand new topics, not just posts. That way the games, which were begun years ago, wouldn't show up.
However, it now means you have no quick way of seeing when a discussions is going on. You have to go digging them out of the actual forums (we have 400 forum areas). So the forum traffic has really dropped as a result. Which is not good.
I need *some* way of having that sidebar show all the recent posts - but exclude the specific threads that have the games in them. There must be some way to edit the code so it doesn't update that list if a thread matches a certain set of IDs.
Any thoughts?