Okay so it sounds like you deleted the php/script files but not the database.
The reason you don't upload over the existing ones is because they hold settings/features from your existing board. You should not delete them unless instructed to do so.

Then uploaded the newer version. Then ran upgrade.php
And the upgrade did not finish to update the database due to things like config.inc.php were missing.

First thing is you may consider opening a support ticket. Rick just may fix it for you.( probably the best option)

After that not knowing what version your were on and trying to upgrade to. It is hard to tell.

You could install the original version (if you have it)then select another database.
then go back and edit the config.inc.php file to look at the real database. then start over with the upgrade.

I know this sounds greek but people that have been using this software it is not that big a deal.
It is really kinda simple. Once you have lived through this once.

There are a few other options but if you don't have that warm comfy feeling then I suggest going with Rick.

If you want to attempt this on your own. the first item would be the config.inc.php file. After re-uploading the original version
Which Gizmo did post a generic file to use but you would need to go through the complete control panel to confirm all the changes.

So again. I would ask with a support ticket to mindraven.
Or ask some of us to fix it.

Either way that person will need access to the site with ftp access and access to the site control panel for the mysql database.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers