Thank you id242,

The problem they are referring to is that it takes the new user to even figure out how to use the search engine. They take a few attempts to figure out how to get results and the time out feature prevents the registered users from doing another search for a full minute. That's pretty frustrating when get zero results from the ambiguous option settings.

Also with the size of our threads database the return would still be the most recent 200. With tagging they 'd be able to at least get meaningful hits in a large selection.

They are thinking that tagging and searching tags would be the best option before we extend the number of years searched. If a tagging system isn't available, then maybe we'll need to do a manual look through to put them into the topic-archive forums makes sense.

Below is more of the discussion regarding achieving pertinent search results with forums that are in some cases very large, and have been around for 10+ years:

Right now there is no tagging on the forum, we'd need a mod or plug in for that.
If it's possible to add such a plug-in or mod then a search engine could be
unnecessary.

As for search, simplify. If you put the word "activation" in it would make sense that
the engine searches this without the user having to add advanced parameters
for the search. It assumes the user is familiar with the likely conversations.

Of course the sheer results of the term in the post would yield a lot of post that
aren't exactly focused on the inquiry. And there-in lies the problem. I find it time
consuming to find a thread that discussed the topic well that I would like to see
the search engines find.

That's why members don't search the forum a lot -when they see 500 plus pages of threads
they don't know where to start to find the meaningful post. So as much as I
dislike the thought, it would require me to go through and somehow flag the good threads. And I think tagging is the way to go.

That's why I think we need a plug-in (once that's done I would go through
the forums starting with recent working to older) tagging threads that have conversations
that answer focus on the subject. I'd skip a lot.

Since I view each thread anyway I would only need something from a drop down menu
to add a tag Then instead of having archived forums at the bottom we could have a
tag menu. The user clicks on that the search is done.

Also an idea... if tagging is not an option. I could go in edit and add the keywords to the
thread titles. The search engine could then be simplified to only search for the keyword
in the title.

Best,

Shawn