Control panel dysfunctions: (still running the 7.5.8)

First signs of trouble:
Created a forum and set permissions for users. The edit_post field options could not be controlled any other way than through phpmyadmin. Control panel commands to update ignored requests to allow and autofilled all groups with "0". Going into phpmyadmin and manually adding "1" for particular groups was the only way to accomplish task.

Moderator Edit: Issue was caused by a low PHP max_input_vars value for the amount of forums on the users install (30*totalforums=lowest value); issue was fixed by increasing the value at the host level.

Continuing trouble:
When we exceeded the number of forums limit (195) I began renaming and reusing disabled forums. (We wanted this forum to retain history of club business, so new forums were created.... little did I know that this was a sinking ship.)
e.g. 3rd quarter meeting renamed 4th quarter meeting. Forum rename appears correctly in the Forums List but breadcrumbs still show old name.

Control panel forum lists aren't updated.
e.g. Attempting to delete forums results in fatal error message, and the forum I was trying to delete would still be showing in the forum settings list view, but when I click to view details, there are none. Checking in phpmyadmin, the forum is not there. Yet it remains in the forum settings list of the control panel.

After consulting with Gizmo:
I've increased the input max to 6000 variables
Plenty of execution time (60) and memory (256M).
I'm still getting fatal error message.
I've run the content rebuilder on Posts, Topics, and Forums. (Doesn't that rebuild from server content?)
Still can't delete a Forum from the Forum Setting. Only get the error message.

Fatal error occurs at line 733 in ubbthreads.inc.php....

This is what begins is on line 732 of that file:

function get_parents($forum_id,$array) {

global $pre_tree;

if ($pre_tree['parent'][$forum_id]) {
$array[] = $pre_tree['parent'][$forum_id];
$array = get_parents($pre_tree['parent'][$forum_id],$array);
}
return $array;

}

What's weird:
All 198 forums -- at least 198 rows -- are present in the both the bluehost server database and ubbt_FORUMS settings table.
--however the forum ID numbers don't match. Some are missing in one not the other and vice-versa.
For example, the first instance of a discrepancy in the lists is at Forum_Id=77 (which is present in the database on the hosting server, but not in the table list in Forum Settings). I would have thought that data was stored and retrieved from the server to populate the accessible forums on log in. The info populating the tables in my admin table should be stored on the server, yet it seems to be pulled from a cache somewhere. And I'm unable to clear the cache... The clear cache command in the Tools & Info section is also unable to proceed due to exact same fatal error as the forum delete.

Help would be much appreciated.
Tearing out my hair.

Last edited by Gizmo; 12/03/2015 7:12 PM.

Druwallpat