I've narrowed down the problem to characters such as "smart quotes" - the quote marks that are curved toward the quoted text - and smart apostrophes - the ones that slant top-left to bottom-right, plus some others.

Also, when doing a copy / paste from some source such as a Gmail email, there are embedded characters that defy description. These characters (one of them looks like a degree circle that is in line with the surrounding text) are most easily displayed if you highlight / copy some text from a source such as a Gmail email, then paste it in a word processor such as Micros**t Word. Then - in Word - be sure to display all characters (Tools > Options > View - Formatting marks: turn all on) and you can see some hidden characters that create the above-described problem.

Even one of the UBB display characters - the right-pointing double chevron that occupies one character position ( looks like >> but is only one character wide - HTML code 187 ??) - will cause the following problem. And UBB is using that character in some of its display lines.

NOW THE BIGGER PROBLEM is that - even if all of the text carries across to a UBB post and is displayed correctly in the initial posting, when one tries to edit that original / viewable post, the EDIT TEXT box comes up blank.

THIS GETS WORSE because it seems to cause UBB to set a flag somewhere, marking the post as uneditable, even when the post contents are corrected in another media (Ex.: Notepad) and then pasted in the UBB edit panel, and then a later attempt to edit the 'refined' text is attempted.

The only way out of the conundrum is to delete the flagged / uneditable post, then enter an entirely new post which has had all the garbage characters removed elsewhere.

Since I have some admin permissions in our iteration of the UBB product, I can delete one of my uneditable posts at any time, whereas the regular user at our site does not have this capability.

=============

Does a version later than 7.5.7 fix this headache?

RIck- ("Rick" with a dash - the 'other Rick')

8^D