Hosting provider upgraded server to php 5.6 and started having issues with functions no longer supported.

Running 7.5.9

Server Info
Server Type Linux
Server Load 0.17
Web Server Apache/2.4.18
PHP Version 5.6.29-1+deb.sury.org~xenial+1
MySQL Version 5.7.16-0ubuntu0.16.04.1

See attached of error msg and response from hosting privider.

Msg from host tech:
Thank you for your email. I am actually seeing that an upgrade to your server was made just today, and is now running PHP 5.6, so this would not be the same issue as the weekend. However, I think I know what the issue is.

PHP developers removed support for the mysql_connect function in PHP 5.6, either as a bug, or they no longer cared for it. The legacy mysql_* functions are deprecated, but it seems that we can still get them to connect by passing an extra flag. Apparently, the PHP function is trying to pass an empty database name, without setting the flag to indicate it's trying to do that.

Please refer to "htdocs/dk3jas8d.php" within oakmediacreations.com to see an example of the modified mysql_connect function. If this doesn't take care of the problem, you will need to convert the code to use one of the modern connection frameworks, I'm really sorry. But PHP is moving away from those functions, and are subject to stop working at any time.

We will be upgrading our version of MySQL in the near future (5.5 to 5.7), which could make things better or worse, but since we are expecting that customers are not using mysql_* functions, we will not be testing code written with that when performing the upgrade. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Any solutions until 7.6 released?

I am a Superstar! Testing signature here