ECNet. I totally feel your pain. Many loved programs will probably never see a single update -- even after 20+ years.

the following has been put behind a spoiler tag because is unrelated to the thread topic:
Windows 10... General:
I work with FoxPro 2.6a for Windows (circa 1994) which is a 16-bit application. Windows 10 64-bit edition removed support for 16bit apps. There are quite a few POS (Point of Service) and DE (Data Entry) companies who still use FoxPro 2.6a. The software also stores its data in DB2 format. There is nothing wrong with this. Their application continues to do its main task, even 20 years later. Thats a good investment!

To get this 1994 16bit application to work with Windows 10, I've had to:
• Install the 32bit version of Windows 10. The memory limit in the 32bit version is capped at 3.5GB.
• Install Microsoft NTVDM - NT Virtual DOS Machine. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_DOS_machine
NTVDM is only available for "Windows 10 32-bit" edition. "Windows 10 64-bit" edition supports only 64-bit applications with compatibility for 32-bit applications, not 16-bit applications.

After doing these two things, that 16bit application (for the most part) works fine again.

The highest versions of Windows which 16bit apps are compatible with, are:
** Windows 10 32-bit edition with NTVDM installed
** Windows Server 2008 32-bit edition (Build 6002)

If you're on Windows 10 32-bit edition, and you attempt to run a 16-bit application, a pop-up notice will tell you that you need to install NTVDM, and ask if you'd like to have it automatically downloaded and installed for you. This is a Microsoft program, and it downloads from microsoft.com servers.

Windows 10... RS1 and RS2:
20160801 - 1607 build 14393 - Redstone 1 (Anniversary Update)
2007Q1/Q2 - build 1548 - Redstone 2 -- The current Fast Ring Builds
I've not directly experienced many issues with these. And I recommend them. But I dont recommend IE11 or Edge.

Windows 10... TH2:
20151103 - 1511 build 10586 - Threshold 2
Windows 10 TH2 was much better. but still had tiles and not a proper (read: classic) Start Menu.

Windows 10... TH1:
20150715 - 1507 build 10240 - Threshold 1
The missing start menu was not fun at all. All the tiles were not fun either.

Windows 8
The Metro style start menu was not fun at all. Windows 8.1 was much better. For the most part, I didnt have problems with this OS version.

Windows 7
I didnt have problems with this OS version.

Windows VISTA
Creative Labs and Linksys (and many other hardware companies) suggested that if you were having issues in VISTA which you did not have in XP, that you need to buy new hardware. Creative Labs never released drivers for per-release version of VISTA, and they often took several weeks or months to release one after the fact (zero audio for several months). Linksys just said by new hardware. Because of that, I had about a dozen unopened boxes of LNE100TX and WMP110 Linksys cards that ended up in a landfill somewhere.

Last edited by id242; 03/06/2017 8:58 PM. Reason: added spoiler tag

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com