One of the features that users continually request in the forums I run is a WYSIWYG editor. I'm not talking about an editor that does everything, but one that allows someone to cut and paste formatted text so it shows the way it was originally formatted with basic attributes such as:
  • Font attributes (bold, underline, italic, superscript, subscript, colors, size)
  • Indents
  • paragraph alignment
  • Tables
  • links
  • possible image pasting (I know this may be a challenge)

Basic functions using the existing UBB toolbar would be a great start that could be enhanced in future leases. Most people don't want to worry about adding open and close tags while editing because that is not the way they normally work when using other software.

In addition to the forum I run with UBB Threads 7.6.0, I also run another forum running phpBB3 3.2.1. Both of these forums lack WYSIWYG and I am contemplating migrating both to a forum that has this capability.

Is it that difficult to implement, thus being the reason the WYSIWYG capability isn't there?

As an alternative, would it be possible to have a cut and paste feature that interprets formatted text and creates the BB codes? I have seen packages that have "Paste as Text" and "Paste as Word" functions.