issac, thanks for the response

1) text entry does not have columns and tables. it's raw text.
I understand that, I used "tables and columns" as an idea of what we used to have for want of better terminology. Yes it is raw text.
2) I believe this forum uses "arial" rather than "courier new" for it's default style (newport) main font. other styles may user other fonts.
Our forum also uses the standard arial font which is what is causing the issue (I believe). We worked around this eventually by setting the font in the post to Courier New which made the colums line up under the names across the top when replying to the previous post using the quote option.
3) your wide rows of text will wrap around on mobile devices (smaller screens). I noticed this first hand when viewing the email notification of the new posts you created within the forums I was subscribed to.
Yep it does, but not really a priority consideration. Only 2 of the users on the NFL picks use mobiles when away from home to make/change their picks, everyone else is on a pc. Those uuseres were able to "get there in the end".
4) different browsers may force their own default settings.
I've tried it with firefox, edge and ie11 and they all show the same result.
Currently when we hit quote we see the following in the reply text box.......
{b}
********* CODE RFM3 MSCD BRIT .MP. .CC. DORA TWOS ABLE{/b}
{b}THURSDAY{/b}
XXX @ XXX .xxx .xxx .xxx .xxx .xxx .xxx .xxx .xxx .xxx
{b} {/b}
Previously by using the {font:courier new} tag around the post we would see the .xxx lined up underneath each of the names - the ******** also throws the reply off in that the first person should be above the first ".xxx"
I think that this may be due to the editor not recognizing the {font:courier new} tag until a preview or post is made.
As I understand it Courier New assigns the same width to every character unlike most fonts so spacing is preserved?
( curly brackets used around bb markup so it is visible)