First, thanks to everyone who created the UBB 8.0.0. UBB has been powering our community since 1998 and we are happy to continue using it.Log of Today's Upgrade to UBB 8.0.0:
1. Started with UBB 7.7.5 running on PHP 7.4.33.
2. Did the upgrade to UBB 8.0.0. All went well, though the script told me that credits.md was missing, so I uploaded it manually.
3. Upgrade to 8.8.0 completed without error. Forum was running well.

4. Then, I decided to upgrade from PHP 7.4.33 to 8.1. Main page came up but the control panel was a white screen.
Checked the error log and found (this the latest of many this afternoon):
[06-Sep-2024 19:35:16 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function mb_convert_case() in /home/byzcatho/public_html/forums/libs/ubbthreads.inc.php:1227
Stack trace:
#0 /home/byzcatho/public_html/forums/scripts/showflat.inc.php(586): make_ubb_url()
#1 /home/byzcatho/public_html/forums/ubbthreads.php(286): page_showflat_run()
#2 {main}
thrown in /home/byzcatho/public_html/forums/libs/ubbthreads.inc.php on line 1227 5. Checked this forum and found
Update to 7.6; mb_convert_case fatal error. In the discussion Gizmo had mentioned that mb_convert_case() is not always enabled by default.
6. Contacted the web host and asked about it and they replied
"we could see that the mbstring extension is already enabled for PHP 8.1 on the domain byzcath.org. This means that the function mb_convert_case() should be available, and any issues related to it not being found should not be attributed to the absence of this extension." They went on to say that it's probably a UBB error.
7. I decided to go back to PHP 7.4. When I went into the "MultiPHP Manager" I found that PHP 8.2 was available (lol - the versions are not in order from lowest to highest in the dropdown and I missed it). So I tried that and received the same error.
8 Eventually, I set it back to PHP 7.4 and my UBB Forum is running again. Currently our forum is working and I made a successful test post. To be safe, I have kept the forum closed.
What's next?
Thanks!
Jake