Hi,
I've just upgraded from UBB 7.7.5 to UBB 8.0.0 and PHP 7.x to PHP 8.3 and noticed that e-mails now appear have an incorrect character encoding: unicode characters such as πor typographic quotes (β) are received using the wrong encoding. This has been verified on multiple receivers using different mail clients. Before the upgrade, those characters showed up properly in the e-mail.
Subject: both emoji and typographical characters are encoded incorrectly.
Body: only the emoji characters are encoded incorrectly. (I couldn't yet verify if the typographical one might just get HTML-escaped.)
I tested this with both regular threads and with the sendmail test feature in the board's config. The database is utf8mb4 enabled, utf8 is enabled in the config.inc.php. Do you have any recommendations what else I should look into? My next approach would be to scour the relevant source code files if I find something that leads me in the right direction but helpful hints are always appreciated!
Many thanks, Michael