The main problem with this is where do we stick more navigation buttons/links?
In earlier versions, if you were in the middle of a thread and decided you didn't want to be there and wanted to go back to the forum index, you'd need to scroll down to the top or bottom of the page and click the Index link. In this version you can click "top" and then use the breadcrumbs link to go to wherever you need to go. If you're in a subforum you can get to the subforum postlist, or you can go to the parent forum postlist or you can go back to the main forum summary page all from one area. If you're at the bottom of the page, you've got the Index link to return to the forum list or the Hop to box to jump to any forum.
So, as far as I know there is only one major difference in navigation between 7 and 6 which is the missing "index" link at the top. If we were to put one there I see 2 problems. One I don't really know where it would go without it looking out of place and two it seems like it's rather redundant with the breadcrumbs right above where it would be.
Maybe I'm missing something and not looking at it the same way. Definitely open to suggestions, alot of things have changed with this version. Using the breadcrumbs for navigation is a change, but offers the most flexibiltiy in navigation, especially with subforums in place.