Here at work, I've got my lovely dual 20" LCDs at 16x12 apiece. So Threads 7 looks great. Lots of room for everything to go where it needs to be, with nothing looking really squished. However, when I un-maximize the window and resize it to something close to what a 10x7 window would be, everything definitely looks a little cramped - the shoutbox most notably, since its internal scrollbars takes up a good chunk of its available real estate.

My guess is that once I get a copy, and can move everything over into one side or the other (and get rid of all the extra boxes that I don't care about) it won't be quite so bad.

But what about going down even farther? With blogs and a lot of other things, the trend seems to be shrinking widths. And of course, my forums will need to match my blog. The new WordPress theme I'm working on has a content area that's about 600px wide, and a 150px sidebar area. Since Threads seems to be expanding sideways (rather than just throwing a half a page of stats at the bottom of the page, a la Invision) I wonder how well it will work in this sort of implementation. Shrinking the font sizes will be step one, but short of ditching the sidebars altogether, what other ways are there to make Threads fit nicely in a restricted-width design?

---Jamin

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."