I think one of ubb.x's biggest problems is that it's just not as intuitive as ubb.threads (I can't comment on ubb.classic, haven't used it in a lonnng time).

For me, private messaging is one great example. When I saw mention of "thread" like private messaging that was the alarm bell I mentioned.

In ubb.threads it really is simple. You click to send a PM, type in the user's name, type your message and click send. They then get the nice flashing envelope, and they read it. Couldn't be simpler.

But ubb.x... you have to press go, then private messaging, then new private message, then find new buddies, then type in their displayed name, then press search, then select their name, then select to add the member. Then, not finished you have to select the user from a list, then select add, then select to invite them to a topic and then and only then can you type the message. Add to this, the system the doesn't notify them (only via email if that option is selected). So users can be completely oblivious to having a message. If they do have the email reminder, they have to "accept" the message or decline it... which I can't see why.

That is where I see this dichotomy... ubb.threads being very good, ubb.x being well, not IMHO. It's obvious what Infopop's intentions are, I know the money is in a subscription-based model. But I worry about what that means for this product line. First move downloadable products out of the way, now the product is being "retired". I just hope it isn't some mini ubb.x being created to encourage migration to ubb.x.

To me, ubb.x should be improved to be more like ubb.threads, not the other way around.