Hi Allen.
i tried and tried and tried several diff approaches the day my site went live and couldnt get it to work. I even used up a microsoft tech support credit and posed the question of what needed done to get IIS5 to use a default document on a cgi script map. they took me thru this god awful setup on an isapi extension and that didnt work, so currently my problem is still an open ticket and I gave up and settled for the static index page.

since all this, I've also found the same behavior consistently re-appeared when I tried using a meta tag refresh to reload the forum home page if folks were camping on it. And it always happens if I click the link the forum home page link from the bread crumb trail in the control panel (brown bar of links beneath the header). Once I found this pattern I tried running the site for a day without php accelerator turned on suspecting IIS was too stupid to use it properly, and that made no difference either. (But I sure did notice a difference in response time!!)

But i hate being a quitter.... even tho the pain and suffering has convinced me I can live with the static index page, so if anybody has any ideas I'll be happy to try again late at night