The UBB went live with the modifications. All the modifications in place existed within my previous version save the News Fader and the extra smilies. The news fader does not involve postings.cgi so I know it is not that. I've checked the smilies script and if it a simple addition of HTML to the code. No looping.

I understand that by modifying the main code of the UBB I've "voided" any type of help from Infopop (it would be impossible and not economical for you to have to troubleshoot everyone's hack attempt) but what I was hoping to learn was how I may be able to troubleshoot something like this myself.

I'm sure that when coding the UBB you've come across run away script or loops of some sort... I'm unsure how I can troubleshoot this type of event in CGI. Give me C, or VB or even assembler and I can follow the processes as they execute line by line... but how do I work with CGI?

I may comment out various hacks and see if the problem resolves at which point I will have identified the culprit. A "Brute force" method, but it could very well work.

I've also ask the hosting company to provide me with the exact start time of the runaway process so that I may look it up in my log files to identify the post/thread that caused the problem. I'd love to be able to recreate this. It's bizarre that only 3-4 runaway processes start over a week's period considering the hundreds of posts that are made. It leads me to believe that it could be a function not often used (reply to, check IP, delete, move topic) but am not sure.

Are there any tools or ways I can trouble shoot something like this?