An interesting dilemna...
gethostbyname() is not a UBB function and it's strictly not even a Perl function but is built into your system.
gethostbyanme() functions well on tens of thousands of machines including Win2K, IIS5 and Perl 5.6 so I'm loath to jump in and modify distribution code.
I do notice on a search that there are numbers of gethostbyname() issues on Windows systems. Apparently gethostbyname() can be pointed to other modules rather than the expected winsock function. If this was done inadevertently or by a third party application, this could be the source of the problem.
It would be an interesting 'OR' function to also try inet_aton() where the standard gethostbyname() fails. I'd want to know first that this does not cause more problems than it fixes.
For example from the MAN pages:
inet_aton() converts the Internet host address cp from the
standard numbers-and-dots notation into binary data and
stores it in the structure that inp points to. inet_aton
returns nonzero if the address is valid, zero if not.
suggests to me that it will not resolve a domain name but only an IP
Insights welcome.
------------------
Michael Farris
UBB Administrator and Customer Support