Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
The "Forget your password?" procedure works for some users but not for others in a 5.47b message board that I'm using. I've inspected the profiles for people who've told me it doesn't work for them, and I'm not finding anything wrong. Some users are able to get their passwords e-mailed to them using both Netscape and IE, however. Here's the URL for the control panel: http://161.58.152.252/cgi-bin/ubb/ubb8143pb/Ultimate.cgi

Any help will be appreciated!

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
What is the exact error that users receive when the password mailing routine fails?

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
This is the UBB message that comes up:

We have no one registered with the email address you listed. Use your back button to try again.

(But the e-mail address is in the system, and it shows up in the profile. Also, there aren't any spaces after the e-mail address to throw it off.)

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Okay...

Determine the user's eight digit profile number by using the User Permissions cpanel.

FTP to your Members directory and download emailfile.cgi, then locate and download the .cgi file with the proper eight digit number from before.

Open both files in Notepad.

The emailfile.cgi file should contain a list of profile numbers, a character sequence (|!!|, |^|, or something similar to that), then email addresses.

The profile should contain about fifteen lines, the first being the username, the second being the password, and the third being the email address.

Check the emailfile address and the profile email address - do they match?

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
You've got it! The emailfile.cgi file doesn't have most e-mail addresses of our users. It has some of them but not nearly all. Many users have entered their e-mail addresses into their profiles after registering, but those e-mail addresses aren't showing up in emailfile.cgi, for the most part. What can we do to make it work right?

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Just as I thought.

Go to your control panel and run the Rebuild Members function under Misc/Debugging.

After doing so, download the emailfile again - it should be updated with all the profile emails.

If the file was not updated, delete it and run the Rebuild again.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
It worked! Thanks so much for your help!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Nightcrawler, Ruben), 694 guests, and 214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29