Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#108245 11/07/2000 11:30 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I have been notified by several users that they do not see the folders change color to let them know they contain posts since their last visit. I can see them as the administrator but they don't seem to work correctly. A lot of folders turn pink that do not have new post since my last logon. Sure could use some help on this as I have read everything and do not see any info on this problem. I tried to login at the forums menu instead of going directly to the forum page and it made no difference. On the forums menu the light bulbs always indicate that new posts are present since my last visit when their have been none. My url is http://www.jb-forums.com Then select JB's Pond Forum. Path to cgi-bin is www/jb-forums/cgi-bin. I set my domain cookies to wide at installation and have not changed it.

Is this problem due to bad code or something I have done?

[This message has been edited by wa4fu (edited 11-07-2000).]

#108246 11/07/2000 1:09 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
MOving this to post install troubleshooting as this isn't an installation issue

--mark

#108247 11/07/2000 7:21 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Please provide the exact URL to your Ultimate.cgi file. I was unable to locate a link.

------------------
Charles Capps, Moderator, Post-Install Troubleshooting
PLEASE NOTE: Due to time limitations, I do not provide UBB support via email.

#108248 11/07/2000 7:42 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
The url is http://www.jb-forums.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi

I did notice that the U in ultimate.cgi and the U in ultbb.setup are both capital letters. I'm sure that is why you could not get into it. Now, will this cause me a problem? Do I need to get rid of the capital letters and if so will I need to set the permissions again on these files?
Thanks

#108249 11/08/2000 1:09 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
No, the capitalization MUST be maintained, it's very important.

The link on your webpage, does it refer to the exact URL http://www.jb-forums.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi ? You have your UBB using the domain name without the wwws. You will need to either set the UBB to use the domain with the www prefix, or change your links and ask your users to change thier bookmarks to refer to the www-less URL. (Cookies can not cross domains, they see www.whatever.com and whatever.com as seperate.)

------------------

#108250 11/08/2000 1:34 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Charles thanks for your reply, I think! I am really confused now. Let me see if I can explain what I'm doing then maybe you can give me an explanation of what is wrong and how to correct it that I can understand.

The way you get into UBB is to first go to http://www.jb-forums.com you then select a forum link from a category page. This link takes you to the UBB forums menu. At this point the address in IE says http://jb-forums.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro&BypassCookie=true. I want to keep this url category page as is because I use it to link to my other websites as well as the UBB forums. What can I put where to allow UBB to see the cookies?

#108251 11/08/2000 1:57 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
If you use the link with &BypassCookie=true, the new post icons will not work. If you link direct to a forum, the new icons will not work. You must enter the UBB at the intro page so the session cookie will be set to keep track of posts. You should also use the same link with the full www.etc. each time for the cookie to work reliably.

The links from your home page bypass the cookie one way or the other.

Just link to Ultimate.cgi or to Ultimate.cgi&action=intro

------------------
Harold Kost
User only - no other connection to Infopop

[This message has been edited by Hal (edited 11-08-2000).]

#108252 11/09/2000 1:38 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Thanks for all your help. Just the right link worked fine.

#108253 11/10/2000 5:24 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Well I guess I spoke to soon. It now seems that about half of my users still do not get the pink folders. It works great for me and several others. I have verified that the ones that have the problem are going to the right link, same as mine. Four of them are using the same IE 5.5 as I do with cookies enabled. The real kicker is that they can go to another UBB forum other than mine and everything works fine. I also verified that the url is the same other than the domain name. Like http://www.yourdomain.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi This is the url that I use on my site that works fine for me and 4 others. This same url works fine for me on the other UBB site I was talking about.

I'm pulling my hair out as I don't know what else to look for. Please Help!

#108254 11/11/2000 1:26 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Have any of these users tried the cookie clearing links under Preferences?

------------------

#108255 11/11/2000 8:57 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Well I just had 5 people let me know that they tried the clear cookie and save password under preferences and it made no difference. They still have no light bulbs or pink folders. Two of them tell me that they must fill in the user name and password every time they log on.

Anything else I can try?

#108256 11/12/2000 1:44 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
What's the technical level of these users? There is something else that might work, but they will need to manually manipulate some textfiles...

(They're going to need to actually delete the cookie files (IE5) or edit the cookies.txt file (NN)

------------------

#108257 11/12/2000 12:48 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I don't think that will work for most of them as they won't even update their browser for fear of screwing something up. But it will for a few. Do you know how to do it for IE & Netscape? If so let me know and I'll give it a try.

The main problem with all of this is making them understand that it is not program or installation problem on my end because their system works as is on other UBB systems. Then they come to mine and these features that they are all used to and just can't live without don't work. Try explaining that to some users that can't attach a file to an email!

#108258 11/12/2000 1:02 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Basically they'll need to do this:

Netscape: Edit cookies.txt (after making a backup) with Notepad - remove ALL refernces to your domain name.

IE: Delete all cookies in the Cookies folder (c:windowscookies or c:windowsprofilesprofilenamecookies) with your domain name or just named cgi-bin, possibly with a number in parens after or before.

------------------

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Version 7.7.5 Images suddenly not displaying
by Stovebolt - 05/04/2024 11:19 AM
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Gizmo, 1 invisible), 901 guests, and 169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29