Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
OK, this is so freaking ridiculous I'm not going to put it in the Feature Suggestions but right here among bugs, as I consider this a bug. I just found out that some moron user actually can add me, an administrator, to his PM ignore list. Call it an oversight or whatever, but by default no user should be allowed to ignore a moderator or administrator. If someone was actually crazy enough to want to allow his users to ignore the board leadership make a CP toggle for it, but this certainly needs to be addressed.

-----------------
Need your UBB.classic installed, upgraded or moved to a new server by an experienced admin? Want hacks installed by someone who knows what he's doing? Need any scripts installed? PM or e-mail me!

[This message was edited by Charles Capps on May 08, 2003 at 01:06 PM.]

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
This isn't even remotely close to a bug report, but a Feature Suggestion with a rant. I actually see no problem with it. Users can opt out of administrator emails, so obviously they should be allowed to opt out of PM's from admins too. The UBB is dutifully doing it's job by adding user #### to it's ignore list as designed.

---------------------
Suite Madame Blue....Gaze in your looking glass..you're not a child any more!
TheGeeksInc.com Forums

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
For now, this is the designed behavior. We may choose to change it in the future.

(We had previously decided that there wasn't anything wrong with admins and mods being on the ignore list.)

--
Charles Capps
UBB.classic™ Developer
Having problems? Open up a support ticket!

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I do see a problem with it, however. I can mail users who opt out of showing their mails by finding their registration mail in the CP. No such option for PM.

And if you previously decided that there wasn't anything wrong with mods & admins being ignorable, I can only say that it was a pretty shortsighted decision which should be reconsidered. But that's just my humble opinion. Ron there obviously likes to be ignored, so who knows. Maybe you can implement some more masochistic options for the likes of him.

-----------------
Need your UBB.classic installed, upgraded or moved to a new server by an experienced admin? Want hacks installed by someone who knows what he's doing? Need any scripts installed? PM or e-mail me!

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
personally alot of sites have more then one admin .. as with alot of things some people dont get along with everyone .. you may with one admin over another ..

this is a case where that "feature" works. If you feel you have something to say thats so important maybe its time for a public posting of it rather then a PM .. again not in all cases but some im sure

wallpapers http://thegeeksinc.com/mattsplace

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Do you usually use PM for things that require public posting? That's curious. We use it to send a private (note word: private) message to just one user, usually regarding a violation of one of the forum rules. It only concerns the recipient, no one else, and there is no need to make a public example out of someone. PM is a great feature to me, because I can deal with all of the board user problems via PM without cluttering my mailbox and switching between the mail program and the boards. And people now read PMs as soon as they hit the boards, they might never check the mails they registered with, or much later than they hit the boards.

And no, hardly any boards have more than one or two admins, considering the amount of damage someone could cause with admin access. We have two, and I don't want either ignored. And someone who runs a board and thinks it's OK for users to ignore admins needs to get their head examined. But then, I suppose that's just my common sense opinion again.

-----------------

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
while i can understand how you want to make a point to someone if they are a "problem" but dont you think if they put you on ignore theres a problem ..

rather then complain about a feature that i and others personally want .. why not look at what would cause the possible issue. If you have a problem user who puts you on ignore then theres a problem them or your rules not a "feature" of the ubb.

As for saying that alot of sites dont have more then one admin .. even your own site does (as you said), as does ours and many of the sites I know, yes while it can be a risk ... it goes back to personal issues not the ubb ..

no offense man but i see alot of what ifs and possibles (which can be good sometimes) but in this case your complaining about problems you have over personal issues rather then what features you like and dont like on the ubb.

also speaking from being one of Rons asst. admins when he has issues he speaks them well we dont have issues where ignoring the admin comes into play, and if such was to happen he knows the problem will be delt with and not let the ubb fix his problem by unblocking someone whos blocking him.

wallpapers http://thegeeksinc.com/mattsplace

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
You don't know what you're talking about. The user had no idea he put me on the ignore list, or how he managed to do it. :rolleyes:

And at least when I speak I don't need a henchman to come along with a loudspeaker to do the talking for me. So take your opinion to someone who wants to hear it. I got the reply I wanted to hear from Charles, and he's the only person whose opinion I care for. I'm done here, if you have any more pointless "advice" use PM.

-----------------

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Jimbo29, I'm starting to sound like a broken record because I continually have to tell you to tone down your posts.

There is no reason for you to attack someone that took their time to offer their opinion and some advice. If you don't appreciate what they have to say then ignore their post. You need to remember the saying, "if you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all!"

----------------------
[]http://www.bowlingfans.com/ubb/icons/icon911.gif[/] Steve
Volunteer Moderator - UBBâ„¢Central's Advanced UBB.classicâ„¢ Forum

#!/usr/bin/geekâ„¢ | BowlingFans.comâ„¢ | BowlingCommunity.comâ„¢
Since your questions could also be of benefit to other users, I won't answer support questions by e-mail, PM, or IM. Please post them to the board instead.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I remember it very well, but you should tell it to those two over there who offered their pointless, useless and unasked-for opinion. And considering their "advice" was more of a smartass reply & personal opinion than having any actual value, I will certainly mark it as such. If you have a problem with that, close the thread. As I said, I got the information I wanted from Charles, anything else in this thread is bloating it up. So work your magic on the close button, if you feel so inclined. It will save me valuable time replying to nonsense here.

-----------------

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Version 7.7.5 Images suddenly not displaying
by Stovebolt - 05/04/2024 11:19 AM
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Who's Online Now
3 members (Stovebolt, ahmed047, Gizmo), 931 guests, and 151 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29