Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#142766 03/04/2001 12:36 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I was upgrading from 8.2 to 8.3 and ran into the dreaded white screen problem. When trying to correct it, I now seem to be having problems with my permissions and am trying to fix that again first.

I'm reading the installation instructions again for UNIX but am confused.

Here's how my board ( http://64.226.175.128/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi ) is currently set up.

I have a ubbcgi directory with all the cgi-bin files with a 755 permissions. My variables files are hosted within that same directory and those individual files have 777 permissions.

There is also a subfolder within the cgi-bin folder for Members and that folder is set at 777.

My variables files are in the same cgi-bin directory as my other Ultimate BB cgi-bin files (the ones that usually begin with cp or ubb) and after uplodaing them I make sure they are set for 777 permission.

My non-cgi files have their own subdirectory.

Again this was working fine for me under 8.2 on the UNIX board. But after getting the white screen problem I began testing it and now I'm not sure if my permissions are set properly.

The ubb6_test.cgi script is returning the following: all required files are there (test 2), read/write permissions are fine for variable files (test 3), in test 1 (permission to read/write) it says the path exists and is a directory but it is not writeable. In test 4 (checking of absolute paths), it says that the following:

Checking /home/cust4/usr4128/cgi-bin/ubbcgi
Path Path exists and is a directory OK
CGI Directory Path OK There is a correct path in general settings OK
NonCGI Directory Path OK NOT Writeable, OK
error: Perl cannot write new files. Directory permissions are now 777
Members Directory Path OK NOT Writeable, OK
Variables Directory Path Found There is a correct path in general settings OK

I'm also getting this error when currently trying to look at the message board.

Unable to open thread summary file at /home/cust4/usr4128/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ubb_lib_2.cgi line 240.

Could someone let me know the proper installation permissions again for UNIX boards and any suggestions?

Thanks.

#142767 03/04/2001 8:48 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Never mind. I figured out the problem. It had to do with UNIX vnodes issues (I might be using the wrong term--that's what my ISP called it). Ultimate BB opens a lot of files for big boards and the Unix server was limiting me to 10,000 files. I bumped it up to 15,000 and it's working again.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 455 guests, and 159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29