Print Thread
Hop To
#148176 09/07/2001 6:41 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Hello,

I'm in the process of evaluating UBB for a arts organization that I am helping to develop their on-line presense. I've downloaded the demo version to see if our host will support it, but I'm sort of hitting some confusion right out of the gate.

Ok here are the first two instructions on loading Ubb on a Win2k Server:
1. Upload all files in the cgi-bin folder of the zip file into the directory you will be using for your UBB™ CGI files.

2. Upload the contents of the variables folder from your zip file into your UBB™ CGI directory

So, is this essentially saying is that the zip folder cgi-bin and the zip folder variables will go to the same cgi-bin location on my web site (in my case cgi-bin/ubb? I'm so sorry, but the way these are worded just simply throw me.

Thanks,

Brad

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
That is correct. The files in the cgi folder and the variables files go into the same directory. The reason they are packed that way is that when you do upgrades, you will not upload all of the variables files of the new version as some of them will contain site specific information after you configure the board. For an initial install, you need all of them.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Thank you, so, do these scripts have to lie right under /cgi-bin or can I have another folder /cgi-bin/ubb where they can go?

Thanks,

Brad

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
On most servers, you can use a sub-directory like /cgi-bin/ubb

Unless the site is used only for UBB, I think it is a good idea to use the sub-directory approach to keep UBB separated from other programs.

(If you upgrade from the demo to a full licensed version, be sure to upload the six new vars_wordlets_ files (not the vars_ only files). Some of the upgrade instructions are confusing on that point). You use the full zip of the licensed version, not the upgrade to go from demo to full.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Nightcrawler), 803 guests, and 448 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29