Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#150 06/05/2006 11:18 PM
J
J Offline
This is something that's bugged me for awhile, and I kind of hoped it'd be fixed in v7. In the search page, the default option is for posts newer than 1 week.

Now, for really busy sites, this is probably good as it saves on server resources. However, my site isn't all that busy... and... well... some of my users aren't exactly the brightest crayons in the box. Searching in general typically eludes them, and if they do somehow manage to accidentally find the search page, it has a tendency to return zero results because they didn't see and/or realize the importance of the date limit. No results newer than 1 week obviously means the question has never been asked before (*cough*), so let's ask it again. You see my dilemna.

It's super easy to go in and just change the code to default to another option. But changing the code means it'll probably get overwritten when an update is released. Maybe not every time - probably not every time. But an admin option to set the default search date limit would be really nice. So busy sites can leave it as 1 week, slower sites can change it to 6 months or so, and no code changing is necessary.

Just a wishlist thing. It's really little and nitpicky, so I don't expect it to rush to the top of the whiteboard or anything. But if you're ever bored and wanna add a new setting to the control panel... it'd be nice. smile

---Jamin

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Good idea. We do have the whole search configuration in the control panel for setting those options. No reason why we can't set the default there as well. Should be able to squeeze that in.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 744 guests, and 147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29