Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
stranger
stranger
M Offline
I just upgraded to 6.7.1. I enabled the new TOS feature. I thought that was the problem but apparently not or at least not entirely.

A user emailed me saying he could not log on and got the "banned" error message: "Sorry, either your membership has not yet been approved or the board administrators have removed your ability to post to this board. We cannot allow you to perform this action as a result. "

I checked and he was indeed banned! Although I never banned him.

I unbanned him--4 times now. ANd it doesn't take.

Occasionally, the unban lasts a few seconds and then he gets a message (which I saw myself when I tried to login with his data) telling him he has to agree to the rules and disclaimers (all well and good, and what I'd expect after enabling the TOS feature) but the screen has no place for him to click "agree" and just gives him an underage warning (even though he's not and his profile doesn't indicate so). The only thing he can click is a link to the actual board.

I've gotten completely befuddled here.

Help.

R
R Offline
Hi Mark:

Do you have the COPPA age check enabled? If so... what is the birthday noted in his profile?

I ran into an issue a few weeks ago where a user had accidentally chosen 01/01/2004 as his birthday, and then the board enabled their COPPA settings, and the board kept automatically banning him...

M
stranger
stranger
M Offline
I do have a coppa age check enabled, but the box "user is underage" is unchecked. However, his birthday is listed as January 1, 2001.

I thought of this, but I see no way to change it on his profile.

B
stranger
stranger
B Offline
Hi Mark,

There is a way to change a member's birthday, but it involves going into your member files via FTP. Here's how to do it:
1. In your UBB.classic control panel, go to Member Management and search for the user who is having the login problem.
2. Take note of his member number (right after his user name in the search results).
3. Access your board via FTP, then go into cgi-bin/ubbcgi/Members.
4. Find the user by his number (should look something like 00000001.cgi if 1 were his user number).
5. Right click on that file and choose "Edit".
6. The code for that member's profile will come up - find the line where his birthday is listed (should look something like 20010101|yes(or no) if his birthday is listed as January 1, 2001). The next line will show his IP address.
7. Change his 20010101 birthday to his actual birthday (or anything older than 13) and save the file (File > Save).
8. Close the file and click on "OK" to re-upload the edited file.
9. Ask the user to clear out any cookies from your site - he should be able to log in now.

Hope that helps!

M
stranger
stranger
M Offline
I downloaded, edited in Notepad, so hopefully that works.

Can you in fact just choose VIEW in WS-FTP pro and then save to have the file replaced on line? Another useful tip, if so... (There is no direct "edit command"--it pops up in notepad to view...)

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
2 members (2 invisible), 721 guests, and 156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29