Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
stranger
stranger
A Offline
This past week, our UBBThreads suddenly stopped working. I maintain the web site and had not done any work on the site at all this past week. I do not do any UBBThread admininstration however. I asked if anyone had been doing admin stuff on UBBThreads around the time it stoppped working (but haven't gotten a reply yet). Does anyone know what could have happened to make it do this? Now when you click on a forum topic, you get a long list of errors like this:

/* begin errors */

Warning: mysql_connect(): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2) in /home/www/tweaker/ubbthreads/mysql.inc.php on line 36

Warning: table_wrapper(): Unable to access /home/www/tweaker/ubbthreads/templates//tbopen.tmpl in /home/www/tweaker/ubbthreads/ubbt.inc.php on line 1419

Warning: table_wrapper(/home/www/tweaker/ubbthreads/templates//tbopen.tmpl): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/www/tweaker/ubbthreads/ubbt.inc.php on line 1419

Warning: table_wrapper(): Unable to access /home/www/tweaker/ubbthreads/templates//tbopen.tmpl in /home/www/tweaker/ubbthreads/ubbt.inc.php on line 1419

/* end errors /*

There are a lot more errors listed, just wanted to give a sample. Is is possible someone messed up doing Admin stuff? or is a file corrupted? Were we hacked? I did not install UBBThreads on the site, I am a new web master for them. But the forums have been working previously for a number of months before these errors started happening. Any help or opinions are appreciated.

If you want to see what happens on the actual site, the address is http://www.tweaker.org , then click on forums in the left menu, then choose a forum from the list.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
From the description of your post, I'm guessing it hasn't been upgraded for awhile, so you were probably running an older version that had a few security issues. This looks pretty similar to the ones I've worked on in where your config file was wiped out resulting in the errors.. You can open up a support ticket if you want and I can verify. More than likely you'll need to be upgraded. If you're not ready to take the jump to 7.0 yet, then I'd definitely recommend getting you upgraded to 6.5.5.

A
stranger
stranger
A Offline
This license we have no longer qualifies for a support ticket ( I looked into that). I have sent instructions to the organization on how to purchase support time, but it is unlikely I will hear back over the weekend.

Is is just a matter of replacing the config file? If there is a backup, would that work? What is the file name? I will definitely recommend upgrading the version to them, but I'd like to see if I can't quickly fix this problem asap first.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
If you have a backup of includes/config.inc.php that would probably get you going again, however the exploit would still be there and you might be down again a few minutes later if the troublemaker is persistant. If you do go this route I'd set the config.inc.php file and theme.inc.php file to unwriteable like 644. You wouldn't be able to update the config from the control panel but this would keep it from being tampered with.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Geoff), 1,018 guests, and 215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29