Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
that is the question. You've seen it I'm sure. The little image of letters where you need to type in what you see. Supposed to make sure that it's an actual person and not a bot, lessens spam postings on the forums. It's something we're thinking about implementing.

2 main problems. One is that these are easily cracked if they are simple. Thats why you'll find many of them that are very hard to read. If they are hard for a human to figure out it's less likely a bot can figured it out.

The second is it locks out the blind as screen readers cannot read them. Lawsuits have already been filed over this. So if we implement it as is, then it would have to be optional so the admin could turn it on at their own risk.

An alternative to this is to make an question/answer list. We'd throw some in by default and the admin could customize these as necessary. Screen readers could read them, so the blind could still access the site. Things like. "How do you spell blue?". "What color is an orange?", etc. Nothing too complicated since if you ask someone, "What is the capitol of Ohio". Many people might not know. This obviously has it's own set of problems where someone with enough time could sit and get a list of all your questions and answers and script their bot to answer them.

Either way is imperfect. But you guys are the ones that will actually be using it, so we'll get your thoughts and suggestions.

M
MMG Offline
journeyman
journeyman
M Offline
I actually like the question/answer thing a lot. The captcha images really annoy me, but I think the users of my site would actually get a kick out of having to answer something related to the purpose of my site to get in.

Old Hand
Old Hand
Captcha is a good idea. There are system available for blind user to lets talk the captcha letters. I see this on an other forum system. There is a button to submit the captcha code with sound output. This resolve the problem.

If you setup Captcha you must be take care. Several system already 'cracked' and can be read by special bots. If you like read this:
http://sam.zoy.org/pwntcha/

I dont like Q/A lists. This have to be setup for different languages and made it more complex for the admin.

my board: http://www.dragonclan-forum.de
my hobby: http://www.biker-reise.de
Ich kann bei Fragen zu UBBthreads in Deutsch weiterhelfen oder es zumindest versuchen
I like the Q+A idea but agree it could be a hassle with multiple languages but it can't be that hard smile (Rick is smart)

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I like CAPTCHA so long as we coudl get some sort of auditory system in place for blind users... In my opinion the UBB will be far above other forums with a truely well thought out system...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
H
Addict
Addict
H Offline
If there's legitimate lawsuits against CAPTCHA being used, I won't be opening myself or Groupee up to that kind of liability. I'll stick with a probation forum for new users until a better solution comes along.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Well, my forums are spammed by bots on an ultimately daily basis.. 2-3 bots, 10-30 posts; it can get kind of rediculous... especially when you have a site that you're trying to have run itself...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
captcha is the way to go - or another similar system.

Laws will be different in varying parts of the world - you have to cater for all markets and not just rule out a feature because it might against a rule in one part of the world. The age feature is a good example (US sites AFAIK require it - but we do not), so the feature is within threads if you are required by law.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
I believe at this point we'll just go the CAPTCHA route where those that want it can enable it. This will be part of 7.1. For starters I'm not sure if we'll get an audio option in or not. Eventually we can possibly add the question/answer option as well, so admins can enable either or both if they want to wink

Anyways, that's the current major project. Definitely will support GD, possibly Imagemagick as well.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I like ImageMagik hehe

I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
You really have to support both (including GD1/2) - some servers only offer imagemagick and not GD frown

Or only support GD and not image magick

Personally I'd like to see the questions if an audio equivalent can't be provided for captchas.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I gave some thought to an audio capthca... Basically some unwitting fool would have to record A-Z 0-9 in wav's and then we'd have some sort of code pull a random set of the images and create links for them and have it so a user would have to click on each section: [1] [2] [3] [4]

Then have it so an alt states "Audio CAPTCHA Character #"

I donno, was just an idea, and I wasn't going to say anything till i threw together a small "proof of concept"... but i'm busy tonight lol

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Havenofsobriety), 522 guests, and 99 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29