Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,659
Likes: 1
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,659
Likes: 1
Apparently "Ignore User" is screwed up backwards...

The Old Way: If you chose to ignore a user, you wouldn't receive any PMs from them, but could obviously still read their public posts.

The New Way: If you chose to ignore a user, you can STILL get PMs from them*, but ALL their public posts are changed to "*** You are ignoring this user ***"

*An ignored user cannot start a NEW PT with you, but they CAN continue to PM you in an open PT, until you remove yourself from it.

The RIGHT Way: The old way. wink If someone's "earned" the right that you'd want to ignore them, you shouldn't be getting *any* PMs from them! Doesn't matter about their public posts, they can be ignored by skipping over them...

At the same time - When you "Remove Yourself" from the PM, it just deletes the entire exchange from your Messages. I think the PT should remain, as a record, just be LOCKED until deleted manually.

PS - "Ignored" users still show up in the Shout Box.

Last edited by Rick; 11/09/2006 6:16 PM.

GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 8.1.34 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 / Apache 2.4.67
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
imo ignored is ignored and you shouldn't see any of said users posts/shoutbox responses as well as not allow any pt's being started or continued with the user (in either direction on pt's)


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
Got to agree with Gizmo on this. Of course an admin should still be able to PT a user (s)he is ignoring.


Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,659
Likes: 1
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,659
Likes: 1
I suppose on the User side of things, Ignore should be global. I'll give you that, as a feature request. wink

However, my bug report is mostly about ignored users still able to converse via open PTs, even tho they can't start new ones...


GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 8.1.34 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 / Apache 2.4.67
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
But then wouldn't you just leave the PT in question?

Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,659
Likes: 1
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,659
Likes: 1
You can remove yourself from it, but then it gets erased into oblivion. I actually like to have a record of what trouble-makers say for future reference... wink



GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 8.1.34 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 / Apache 2.4.67
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
point taken smile

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
perhaps have it act like a normal topic and "lock" the PT?


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
This is going to be a bug that's gonna be fixed in 7.1. In the PT you will see the same thing "You are ignoring this user".

The big change and the reason we're fixing in 7.1 will be that we'll be changing this quite a bit. When you see a private message or a post made by a user you are ignoring it will tell you "You are ignoring this user" but there will be an option to "click here to show post". That way if you need/want to see what they had to say then you can without the need to go and unignore them.

I think we can fix the shoutbox as well, but that will probably just be an all out you just won't see them period.

Last edited by Rick; 11/03/2006 9:49 PM.
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,659
Likes: 1
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,659
Likes: 1
Originally Posted by Rick
I think we can fix the shoutbox as well, but that will probably just be an all out you just won't see them period.

Well, it might be helpful to know that they are *in* the Shout Box, so perhaps just replacing all their comments with [ignoring] or something would be good... but as for posts and PTs, I'm glad we will still be able to read them if we choose to. 8)


GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 8.1.34 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 / Apache 2.4.67
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
sounds nice Rick


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
Ok, this will be fixed for 7.1. In posts and private messages you'll get a message that you are ignoring the user. You'll also get a link to toggle the display of the post, so if you just can't help yourself and must see what an ignored user said, you can without the need to unignore them.

Shoutbox posts will be replaced with "***Ignored User***" with no toggle.


Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
8.0.1 Patch Changelog Discussion
by isaac - 11/26/2025 1:34 PM
Upgraded to ver8 - now can't login
by phoenix011235 - 10/24/2024 8:50 AM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 563 guests, and 80 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)