Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
stranger
stranger
F Offline
My site is running very slow. This happened about a year ago ad all we had to do was delete certain files and rebuild the metafiles and search index. I can't remember which files to delete.

I was told once before that when you rebuild the metafiles and search indexs that the files don't get deleted; instead data gets added and the files grow. I had moved some topics to a read only area so I rebuilt the search index and now the sites crawling along and the CPU is running at 80-90%.

Does anyone know which files to delete?

Thanks in advance,

- Bill

F
stranger
stranger
F Offline
I looked in forum 1's directory and I saw a large file called "forum_1.threads". What's this file do?

- Bill

F
stranger
stranger
F Offline
By the way, I'm running UBB.Classic 6.7.3 and the site is located here:
http://www.ffcobra.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

- Bill

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Sorry for the late reply, I've been out of town.

That file is an index of the topics in your forum - you really don't want to delete it wink

Rebuilding data should delete the indexes before rebuilding them, I don't think it adds on to the old ones or else what would be the purpose for rebuilding? smile

What's your cache hit percentage? Even in your archive forums I am getting a new page vs one pulled from the cache (the page is an ultimatebb.cgi file vs an ultimatebb.php file).

Your forum is pretty good sized - there's a few things you can do to improve speed while staying on .classic:

- reduce the who's online time from 30 min to 10-15 min.
- set everyone to view all topics (not the last 10 days, 30 days, 90 days, etc) - the idea is to get everyone on the same page pulling from the cached file as much as possible. Members and Search Engine bots will go back and look at the old stuff - making it available to be cached will keep the cache hits up.
- don't allow searches of more than one forum - people should refine their search prior to tagging your server for their own laziness wink
- your search index would probably work better for one for each forum rather than one big one for the whole site - lots less info to search through at one time.
- I'm sure there are other things I can't think of right now smile

- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Napalm), 806 guests, and 165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29