Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#169069 11/25/2006 9:35 PM
O
O Offline
I just tried to backup my data files, and got this error about half-way through the procedure:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 3383773 bytes) in /home/www/jakchat/forums/admin/dodbbackup.php on line 157

any thoughts?

Last edited by Rick; 12/03/2006 2:05 PM.

Okusi Associates -- Indonesian business and management services
Okusi #169070 11/25/2006 9:40 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Easy, your alotted memory from your server was completely used... You had used 8388608 bytes (8 megabytes) and the script tried to use 3383773 additional bytes (3.2270174 megabytes).

Your webhost would have to increase the php memory limit which would be doubtful in most cases (16mb is a nice round upgrade number to request).

Your best bet however wouild be to run backups from command line, they're much faster and don't rely on the php variables.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #169071 11/25/2006 9:43 PM
O
O Offline
thanks for that. how do run backups from the command line? (you mean the mysql command line i presume).

Okusi #169073 11/25/2006 9:52 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Nope, I mean through an SSH or Telnet session using the mysqldump command:
Code
mysqldump -uusername -ppassword database_name > database_name.sql

Whichever directory you issue the command from will be where your database_name.sql file will be created; additionally you can specify a path before database_name.sql.

How, if you have PHPMyAdmin you could create an archive (tar, tar.gz, .zip, etc) of yoru forums which will download much faster, but depending on the size of your forums I'm not sure if it'd time out or not going this route.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #169085 11/25/2006 11:41 PM
O
O Offline
i could not get database_name to work (i don't know the names of the databases, but i noticed an option for "all-databases" and i used that instead.

Code
mysqldump -hhostname -uusername -ppassword --all-databases > mybackup.sql

this means, of course, that all the databases are in one file. does that matter??

Okusi #169096 11/26/2006 1:04 AM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
database name woudl be whatever your database name is; as I don't know your setup I just put "database name" in there... You can get the name of the database that UBB is using out of your configuration file...

As you can see fromt he ines i posted, you'd have to replace "username" "password" and "databasename" with the appropraite information; hostname shouldn't have to be used though since it'll by default try localhost.

Gizmo #169099 11/26/2006 1:22 AM
O
O Offline
i tried without using hostname, but it didn't work for me on my system ... obviously my localhost is not the same as my mysql hostname.

Okusi #169108 11/26/2006 2:23 AM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by KuKuKaChu
i tried without using hostname, but it didn't work for me on my system ... obviously my localhost is not the same as my mysql hostname.
ahh, in that case your mysql username probably isn't set to accept connections from localhost (probably just the loopback address)

I hope that you got your backup built from the command line though

Gizmo #169110 11/26/2006 2:26 AM
O
O Offline
Originally Posted by Gizmo

yes, the command-line method worked just fine, and very fast!

Okusi #169112 11/26/2006 2:28 AM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by KuKuKaChu
Originally Posted by Gizmo

yes, the command-line method worked just fine, and very fast!

lol indeed fast... generally though I woudln't recommend using the all-databases flag though, since i'tll backup every db you have access to (and on a missconfigured server you may snag crap you won't want or that aren't your db's), instead you shoudl specify the databases that you want specifically.

Okusi #169131 11/26/2006 6:18 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
If you have command line access to the server you can also connect to MySQL then run

show databases;

Though your control panel should also tell you the name and path of your database.

Run a CRON job if on Linux or Scheduled Job on Windows and backup the database and Website every day would be my recommendation.

I back mine up each day and then RAR them so the size is acceptable to me.

ntdoc #169134 11/26/2006 6:23 AM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I have a monthly cron set to backup specific paths and ftp files to my local server...

For my SQL files I backup the raw SQL storage directories, for the time being anyhow wink

Gizmo #169136 11/26/2006 6:33 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well my next step will be to FTP the backups to another site on another server at least once a week just in case the hard drives fail or something on the main site, the most I could ever really loose is a week of posts. That is a worse case scenario.

If I had physical access I could hook a tape drive or external drive to the system - but since the site is about 8,000 miles away I don't think that will happen.

ntdoc #169139 11/26/2006 7:13 AM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
My setup is as follows:
1. Server creates backup according to specific directories i wish backed up; this is done to a temp directory.
2. ncftp is set to ftp all files to a remote host.
3. Remote host (my home development machine) sits and recieves files, very litle that i have to do, but I can backup files in house through the dvdrw drivves n the server (which works out fairly well)

I went through ncftp and customized my settings, and have everything issued through a cronjob, I could ajust the crontask to run however often as needed (should I be that anal retentive);

I could also take and setup a seperate task to do just the db or any other set of db's to account for forum data that i'd want backed up.

Everything ofcoarse is tarred before transferred over, i have it done by sites (from my VPS); I rather enjoy the level of customization that there is, always up to learn hehe

Gizmo #169190 11/26/2006 11:41 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well I just took over as Admin of the site a couple weeks ago after a loss of accounts and no backups.

Got the board back up and running, now have upgraded it, and back it up daily. So it's in much better shape then it was in the past. Had there been a bigger error or full data loss there was no backup period.

ntdoc #169193 11/27/2006 12:50 AM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I have a similar issue with a friends site, the host made no backups, and neither did he; well the host migrated all of his sites to a new server and left my friends on the old one and the bill poped and the server data is magicaly gone; so now theres no hosting, no backups, etc and no one knows what happened...

Pretty scary :/... If we can get data backup I'm going to ensure weekly backups of the database, with monthly backups of the site.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 872 guests, and 248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29