Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#170147 12/12/2006 10:01 AM
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 199
Likes: 9
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 199
Likes: 9
I received this complaint from one of my users:

Hi, I am having trouble posting on the forum. The only posts I can make are the quick reply to a post already there. Otherwise, I get a message saying my host is not recognized and is probably a firewall issue. I am not too computer literate, but I did check my firewall settings and they are at the lowest they can be. Any help solving this would be great.

Nothing came up on a search for "firewall". Anyone have any ideas?

Right now I have her clearing her cookies. If that doesn't do anything I will have her turn her firewall off and try to post using the "Reply" button (and, of course, turning it right back on again).

Jake #170148 12/12/2006 10:09 AM
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 583
old hand
old hand
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 583
I had a similar complaint from a user and it turned out to be releted to firewall in combination with having HTTP Referrer checking enabled. When I disabled HTTP Referrer check the user was able to post. Not sure if this is your problem, but that was my situation.

Basil #170153 12/12/2006 11:16 AM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 53
M
MMG Offline
journeyman
journeyman
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 53
I had the same problem and as Basil said disabling the HTTP Referrer check fixed it.

MMG #170154 12/12/2006 11:37 AM
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,659
Likes: 1
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,659
Likes: 1

Search worked for me: Read this wink



GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 8.1.34 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 / Apache 2.4.67
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
jgeoff #170257 12/13/2006 10:41 PM
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 199
Likes: 9
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 199
Likes: 9
I had the user turn off the firewall and try to post. It worked. Then I had her reset her firewall to a default level. It must have configured something automatically. Thanks, all!

jgeoff, sorry for my lack of clarity. I should have indicated that the results of the search didn't give me any solutions.

Jake #170261 12/14/2006 2:22 AM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
a lot of firewalls and virus scanners now adays block referrer varriables from being posted through browsers, which nerf security at some sites and make somethings not work as intended.


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
8.0.1 Patch Changelog Discussion
by isaac - 11/26/2025 1:34 PM
Upgraded to ver8 - now can't login
by phoenix011235 - 10/24/2024 8:50 AM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 270 guests, and 100 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)