Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#170021 12/09/2006 4:23 PM
R
stranger
stranger
R Offline
I'm not sure that this is the best place for this, but it would really be helpful to be able to include colors inside a code tag. It would help when trying to point out a piece of code that can be changed to suit a person's needs. I believe this was possible in a previous release of UBB, but isn't working now. Any chance of either a hotfix or information on creating a new BBCode that will work like Code tags, but allows colors inside it?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I think allowing colors in code tags goes against the pourpose of the code tags... the code tags tell the forum "do not process this, i want it exactly how it displays".

The php tags however, do have some highlighting of specific elements, but it's nto user definable.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
My recommendation on how to display adjustment instructions would be to just state, "line 37" then display a code tag of just that line (or section) to edit; its basically what we do at UBBDev.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
R
stranger
stranger
R Offline
Well, this is for mIRC.com's forum, where you are displaying scripting that you want to highlight specific parts in a long script that is written for someone. There should be some possible method of including colors in the code tags... even if it's the creation of a new BBCode that is similar to code tags, but doesn't ignore color tags.

Or, perhaps including a [ highlight ] tag that can be used inside code tags. Just something to help out. smile

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
humm, a highlight tag would be kinda nifty for code tags; was meerely showing that it could be bad, what're you goinna do when a user is yelling at you because it doesn't copy "the red text" lol

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
We actually used to do this, but there were times when people wanted color to not be translated. Definitely needs to be something to highlight a section of a code. I'll look into it.

Rick #170031 12/09/2006 5:08 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I can see where some would want it, and a highlight tag in the code tag could solve the request... it could be fun at coding communities, so they woudln't have to cut up a portion of script to highlight certain things...

Rick #170043 12/09/2006 8:45 PM
R
stranger
stranger
R Offline
Originally Posted by Rick
We actually used to do this, but there were times when people wanted color to not be translated. Definitely needs to be something to highlight a section of a code. I'll look into it.

Thanks, Rick. That would be great. We'll have to do something about the many posts that we already have that use color tags inside code tags, but this will definitely help out for future posts once it can be added to a new release, or as a hotfix highlight BBCode.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
lol i'm going to add this to my news script that I use on my sites that i made up (I use a ubbcodeesque system)

Rick #170175 12/12/2006 4:23 PM
R
stranger
stranger
R Offline
Just wanted to throw this idea out to you about the colors in code tags. It was suggested on the mirc.com forum.

Originally Posted by billythekid
or just have a checkbox with "disable colour in code box" like the YaBB "Disable smilies" box, in the post options part of the posting form. that way if we want to show forum code you click the 'no formatting' option, otherwise it defaults to show colours.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well I'll probably wait to see what Rick comes up with for 7.1 but we are in this area of interest as well.
We post a lot of scripting code and we are thinking of modifying the underlying code to allow the coloring to be much more enhanced like a syntax capable editor has.
The php tags are a start, but still way lacking (imho)

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
The php code tags simply use php syntax highlighting which is a function in PHP versus coded into the forum software.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yes I know it's not the exact same thing, but along those lines wink

Don't want to hack code if my hacks might get whacked by 7.1 - but we are working on an external script tool to post code with full syntax coloring that we want so we don't have to use the UBB code tags.

ntdoc #170224 12/13/2006 11:15 AM
R
stranger
stranger
R Offline
Heh. All I want is to be able to color specific things within a code tag. I think having a "post option" at the bottom that lets you "enable" all tags found within a code tag. Because we don't use BBcode tags in mIRC scripting, we could use that when we want to allow colors/bold/underline/etc inside a code box without having it not display a tag that we want to have appear. I think the only time you really need to see the actual tags appearing in a code box is if you're doing UBB support or another BB support. Most other coding methods don't use the square brackets for things. So I think that this enable checkbox method would be perfect.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 764 guests, and 261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29