Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 199
Likes: 9
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 199
Likes: 9
When I upgraded from UBB.Classic to UBB.Threads the #1 user issue I had was forgotten passwords. I understand that a lot of people are not tecno-savvy - a good number of them did not bother clicking on the "Log in" link or e-mailing me for assistance. They simply tried to re-register. And that's annoying!

Since then I have manually added a link to the "Have you forgotten your login information? Click here." page at the top of the Registration page ("Board Rules"). I highly recommend adding this link before you open your upgraded board. I also recommend that it be included in future versions (it should be simple enough to add).

Thanks for an excellent product!

Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,659
Likes: 1
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,659
Likes: 1

Amen. I added that link to the intro to my forums - and in red lettering in my site rules that ppl are supposed to agree to when they register, not to register more than once. But of course, that doesn't always work... :/

BUT - FWIW - there is a link to "Have you forgotten your login information?" on the login page... but I can see how that'd be a good addition to the Registration page as well, just in case...



GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 8.1.34 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 / Apache 2.4.67
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,097
Likes: 1
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,097
Likes: 1
Well I'm sorry but I can't agree that a user would or should have to do this in the first place.

Microsoft as an example has upgraded and switched versions and servers and just about everything else you can think of and I've not had to "reset/request" my password from them in the past 5 years.

I think an upgrade should retain ALL your information and allow a user to logon as though nothing has ever changed.

I'm not saying it's an easy task to code, but many applications do it.

.


Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,659
Likes: 1
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,659
Likes: 1
...the thing is, tho, I kinda like to "clean house" like that, cuz now I know people have to keep their email addresses up to date if they wanna keep playing. I require email verification. If every so often they need to update their (real) email address to post, then I'm actually happy about it. wink

Hell, I wouldn't mind an automated email going out every 6 months to check for bounces. Or being able to limit login cookies so ppl can't change their addresses to bogus ones and keep posting...

BUT - I actually agreed with your suggestion, because it's a good one. It might cut down on duplicate registrations. (Thought many of my members are so caught up in post count, that they'd NEVER wanna start over like that! LOL)


GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 8.1.34 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 / Apache 2.4.67
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
Originally Posted by jgeoff
Hell, I wouldn't mind an automated email going out every 6 months to check for bounces. Or being able to limit login cookies so ppl can't change their addresses to bogus ones and keep posting...
I send out an "update" notice every couple of months to take and check for bounces, just a few words about the forums, any upgrades, any plans for the site, etc; any bounces to to my inbox and accounts are promptly disabled by hand hehe


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
After server reboot
by Morgan - 09/02/2026 8:27 AM
8.0.1 Patch Changelog Discussion
by isaac - 11/26/2025 1:34 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 322 guests, and 186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)