Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#170326 12/15/2006 10:30 AM
C
C Offline
There are two issues with the forum search function that are really causing us some difficulty.

The first is that, despite the fact that the minimum word length is set to 3 characters in the control panel, we are not able to successfully search on 3 characters (e.g. specifying 'bug' as a search word). In order to search successfully, we must specify at least 4-character search keywords. Basically, we need to be able to locate posts with the word 'bug' in them. LOL It worked perfectly in the previous software version.

The other is that we are unable to determine that the search function supports wildcards. In version 6, a wildcard was "assumed" at the beginning and end of each search argument, and searching on, for example, 'play' would return posts with any word containing 'play' (e.g. player, played, replay, etc.), and you had to specifically limit the search using quotation marks if you didn't want that kind of search. In version 7, the search only returns posts containing the exact keyword entered. We've tried all the standard wildcard characters, without success.

Is it possible that there are some control panel or database settings that we are unaware of that would resolve these issues?

Thanks! smile

Carla

I've already reported the string length issue as a bug in the bug forum.

I've also confirmed that the standard * wildcard does not work. Other full boolean text search operators seem to work, such as +, - and grouping with quotes "". No wildcard however. Also reported but not yet resolved.

My users won't use the search function now. I had such hopes when I heard it was going to be full boolean text search. The current implementation is quite a few steps backwards from UBB.c unfortunately.

Stress the system until it breaks. Hey.. it works for Spacecraft.. why not here?

UBB since 1999: MonteCarloSS.com
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

Yeah... search needs some work, I agree. I've reported issues myself. Hopefully it'll be fixed up to Classic levels at least wink

GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 5.6.40 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 (was 5.6.41-84.1) / Apache 2.4.54
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
C
C Offline
I thought of a workaround for the first problem: i added a replacement word in the censor list. I replaced the word Bug= with _bug_

Now we locate posts with the word BUG in it (particularly useful during our internal betas).

I thought I might share this. smile

three letter searches didn't work for me even when the threads software was set to do three character searches. until i found out this from Rick:
==============
I think that may be a limitation on your host. Some hosts have the minimum search index at 4 characters for MySQL, so it won't find any results on 3 character searches. You'll want to contact your host and check what they have for the minimum character length for MySQL full text indexing.
=============

I did some digging and found that the variable is:
ft_min_word_len
by default, it was set to 4. I lowered this to 3 and everything works fine on 3 character searches.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Version 7.7.5 Images suddenly not displaying
by Stovebolt - 05/04/2024 11:19 AM
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 802 guests, and 186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29