Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J Offline
Hi Folks,

I updated from version 5.47 (yes, ancient) and on that old board I used to get emailed copies of every new registration request which included all the info and the password given. On the new board, I don't seem to be getting them anywhere. Any idea what setting I have wrong, where to fix it or does the new board no longer email copies out?

Brian

Brian Austin Whitney
Founder
Just Plain Folks Music Organization
www.justplainfolks.org
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
You could enable the registration queue which would email you when every user registers.

I don't believe it sends out the passwords however, keep in mind that, from a security standpoint, providing any sort of passwords in plaintext is definitely insecure. In UBB7 all passwords are encoded for user and account protection.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J Offline
We always had the passwords come to us with registration number and that was useful many times when someone changed their email address and had no way to receive a password. I see the new board allows us to send a new password out etc. but that feature was also good to have as a record keeping feature. If no one but the registered user can see the password it is harder to demonstrate to them that their password really does work. The feature that allows me to "assume" their identity doesn't deal with the password working or not issue. If I can assume their identity in the first place, what is the harm of me KNOWING their password?

Seems odd to me. Our old board was version 5.47 which we just upgraded to this version after using that one non stop from 2000.

Brian

Brian Austin Whitney
Founder
Just Plain Folks Music Organization
www.justplainfolks.org
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
The admin can assume their identity indeed yes, this is useful for checking bugs, changing passwords, etc.

The issue is, sending data online in plain text, and storing it on a computer itself is insecure... think of it this way, you get hacked, or you have someone work on your computer, oh lookie here, thousands of account usernames and passwords with email addresses... Now you're not only responsible for your users account on your site, you're also responsible for if they use the same password on their email account; which can in itself lead to other issues.

Ultimately, storing passwords in plain text anywhere is like keeping your creditcard number written down on a piece of paper that has been taped to your monitor.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Ruben, 1 invisible), 998 guests, and 205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29