Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#170520 12/18/2006 8:27 AM
A
journeyman
journeyman
A Offline
Hello. I wonder if you still have the old UBBThreads available for download? Was a different look. Can't you make the old releases available free of charge? Why did you do this interface change (I like it!) But can I get the old look of UBB Threads?

Also, I am a little bit confused. Are UbbCentral the same company as Groupee, Infopop, Eve Community?

Why should I buy UBBThreads (which is much more expensive than other commercial forums)? Why is it more expensive than the others? Almost so you can't afford it.

Can I use UBB Threads as a CMS/Portal site? Can I add new navigation links and custom pages?

Is the theme on this site the same as is included? Where can I see and find other themes?

Is UBB Threads fully CSS (X)HTML valid? Clean code? SEO friendly? Can you have SEO URLS?

Modding/plugin/hack system?

PS. When I edit my post title, it changes in the post view and in the topics view, but not in latest post view. Why is that? Can you change that?

Regards,
Alexander

Last edited by Alexander; 12/18/2006 9:23 AM.
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
While we do still have 6.5.5 of UBB.threads in the Members Area it does require the same purchase price as you're not only purchasing the software but access to the members area for a year for any updates.

UBBcentral, Groupee, Infopop, Eve, are all run by the same company, yes.

You could use UBB.threads as a CMS/Portal site. It's not quite as feature rich as a true CMS system, but it can be done. You can add navigation links. There is an example script that allows you to see how to create custom pages that will blend in with the forum setup.

Our price is a bit higher than some. But we have some builtin features that others make you pay for, or are not included such as the portal system.

This theme isn't included in the stock download but it can be downloaded from our Styles Download Forum along with a variety of others. Most have a preview of the style as well.

We're very good on our css/xhtml validation. There are some here on this site, but they aren't in the base code, rather coming from this custom style that is in use. Code has been totally rewritten and very easy to follow. We have search engine friendly URLs as you can see from this setup.

We don't have a plugin system, but we do have an dedicated modification site, at www.ubbdev.com.

The post title not changing is more than likely a bug or a cache not being updated, will need to look at that.

Hopefully I got all of your questions. Let me know if you need any clarification on any of them.

A
journeyman
journeyman
A Offline
Thank you Rick. I am glad to hear that you offer the old download too. But I would probably use the newest version if I bought UBB Threads.

Is there any other way you can get it cheaper than its current price? ($229)

Do you still offer security and bug fixes for old UBB Threads versions?

Last edited by Alexander; 12/19/2006 1:05 AM.
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

The cost is actually pretty reasonable. Not only are you getting direct conversation with the lead developer, who actually listens to your input and suggestions directly -- let alone ubbdev.com which helps with special needs -- you have a very helpful community here to back you up.

I've read the forums of other products - and you have to agree they're often full of (how should I put it...) kinda dumb questions. I haven't seen that here at all. Read through these forums and you'll see...

As for bug fixes - they've been on top of things regularly since I've been involved (about 6 years). Granted, most of the energy goes to the latest versions, but that's understandable.

GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 5.6.40 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 (was 5.6.41-84.1) / Apache 2.4.54
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by jgeoff
I've read the forums of other products - and you have to agree they're often full of (how should I put it...) kinda dumb questions.
i answer all questions hehe... wink

And I agree, the license fee isn't bad at all, its just the initial license, renewals to member area are also quite reasonable.

As for legacy products, support for UBB.C has died, I don't recall if a EOL has been announced for support of UBB.C6.x however. But you can also always find support for all of the UBB products both here and ubbdev (ether of which you'll have me, your friendly neighborhood spamaholic to keep you company hehe)...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Originally Posted by Gizmo
I've read the forums of other products - and you have to agree they're often full of (how should I put it...) kinda dumb questions.
i answer all questions hehe... wink

See, I said I couldn't explain it.. haha I didn't mean "dumb questions" per se (cuz there isn't such a thing)... I guess my point is, you'll likely find more *helpful* answers here for your more in-depth questions... wink

UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
There are no dumb questions, just those people we hide in the back room when we're whipping the slaves... wink

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
A
journeyman
journeyman
A Offline
Well, I still think the price is a little bit high! I registered for the demo (Is it a downloadble demo or just a demo site?) for like 2 days ago and I still no email.

Argh, I wish this software was free, always has to be so expensive. I mean, I guess I can't afford it. Maybe have to go with another free or cheaper software. I think you should half the price if you wanna compete with vBulletin and Invision Power Board, but that is my opinion.

So if you buy 5 licenses, then it is over $1000, which is alot!!

With a license, are you just allowed to run it on one website and one install? As IPB, vBulletin, FusionBB and all other commercial forums' licenses? I hate that kind of licensing.

Exactly why should I buy this more expensive forum? What does it have that other hasn't?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I believe Groupee offers volume pricing when ordering 5+ licenses (from an email i had back with the sales department a year or so back).

One license is for one site, its standard with the type of product.

There are several "why should I buy ubb other than _____" threads on this site, some quick reasons:
The level of support is unmatchable, where else can you talk with the lead developer anytime you need? Where else will you get the style and type of support, let alone have a say in the way the product works? Everyone else is in it for the money, Rick however is the original creator of UBB.Threads, it's his baby as it's always been, he wants to see it be the best it can be.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
There is one such thread here (first oen i found in this forum, there are several others astrew).

One thing to also keep in mind is that some forum solutions encode their sourcecode with any number of solutions (Zend, IonCube, etc) however with UBB.Threads you get direct access to the code which is non-encoded to modify as you wish.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Bottom line though is if you can't afford it, then you can't afford it. We can give you all the information in the World but if you don't have the money for it then we're not going to be able to assist you in that department.

There are alternatives if you have to go down that road but if you're new at this type of software you'll find it difficult at best to get it going and keep it going beyond a VERY basic board.

A
journeyman
journeyman
A Offline
Originally Posted by ntdoc
Bottom line though is if you can't afford it, then you can't afford it. We can give you all the information in the World but if you don't have the money for it then we're not going to be able to assist you in that department.

There are alternatives if you have to go down that road but if you're new at this type of software you'll find it difficult at best to get it going and keep it going beyond a VERY basic board.

No. I am more of a Pro on Bulletin Boards than you think. I am sure I know more than you about this. Just because the price is over $200 doesn't mean it is better.

You guys don't like newbies asking here (like in phpBB you said), that is a very stupid attitude. Well, I will see if I will buy UBBThreads, will let you guys know then.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Hi Alexander -

Perhaps we're trying too hard. wink I don't think there's a "general attitude" against newbies here at all. Joking around here and there, maybe, but probably with the intent to convey that because this product is less mainstream (and not free), it seems to attract a bit more sophisticated customer base.

Only you can decide was is right for your site. You've taken it for a spin here, and are encouraged to continue to see all that Threads has to offer. If you'd like to check out the Admin area, you can ask for a demo here. I think you'll find it to be very user-friendly and much more powerful than many other products.

As for the cost, sure, it may seem* like more than most others. But having tried almost all other BB products out there (like you), I've found that you usually get what you pay for. And to me it's rather moot considering the value (to me) of the community that I've built, and the helpful community here. And it doesn't hurt that my sites are reasonably profitable so I'm still way ahead of the game. wink

*Let me quickly compare some key points of Threads vs another popular alternative:

"$149.99" is cheaper in the short term, sure. But that's good for "6 months of support/upgrades". Add another $25 for another 6 months. Now you're up to $175. "2 business day ticket response" can seem like a lifetime when your forums are down. I've gotten help here sometimes in minutes, and certainly within an hour or two. If you want "1 business day turn around" yet still only "6 months of support" you're now up to "$299.99" for a "Business License", plus another $50 for the next 6 months. That's $350. I like their product as well, but when I add it up, to me it doesn't compare, IMHO.

But as I said, whatever's right for you is, well, right for you. Good luck on whichever solution you decide upon!

JG

UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
A
journeyman
journeyman
A Offline
Hello jgeoff!

Thanks for your answers. I know that you mean IPB, but how do you think UBB Threads compare to FusionBB and vBulletin?

I registered for the demo for like 3 days ago, yet no email. frown

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
The email is automated and should come immediately after you sign up for the demo. Since it's only available for 24 hours, the original has expired already. Go ahead and sign up for another one, if you don't receive an email (check your spam folder as well), then let me know and I'll give you the URL once it's setup.

A
journeyman
journeyman
A Offline
Originally Posted by Rick
The email is automated and should come immediately after you sign up for the demo. Since it's only available for 24 hours, the original has expired already. Go ahead and sign up for another one, if you don't receive an email (check your spam folder as well), then let me know and I'll give you the URL once it's setup.

Thanks Rick.

It was in the Spam filter. I will check it out.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Originally Posted by Alexander
Hello jgeoff!

Thanks for your answers. I know that you mean IPB, but how do you think UBB Threads compare to FusionBB and vBulletin?

I have nothing against other comparable products - But if you take a look at this comparison chart, for instance, keep in mind that some of those "NO's" under Threads should be "YES's", and most others are currently under development for a near-future release (as far as I know). There are also features that they don't list there that Threads already provides, like the Shout Box, and will likely provide in the future (blogs).

They all have their pros/cons, but as I said, UBB was right for me. wink

UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
A
journeyman
journeyman
A Offline
Okey, I tried out the admin control panel! Pretty neat. I love the style of UBB.

Some questions, what are post islands?

Can I get RSS news to a specified forum?

Can I search inside a topic?

I have put member ratings and topic ratings on, where do I rate a topic? I have turned it on in the ACP, but I don't see any "Rate Topic" nor "Rate Member".

Can I get more stuff to show beside each post? Such as MSN/AIM or something simular or custom profile fields or fields that user has edited?

Can I make custom profile fields?

How to for example hide avatars for guests? Where do I find that permission system?

Also is there a rating system for user's post? Can I show the rating/karma beside each post?

Last edited by Alexander; 12/20/2006 2:37 PM.
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Post islands are basically small blocks that contain recent posts or topics. You can see one in use here on the left side entitled "Recent Topics".

Yes, you can create an RSS feed for a specific forum or for multiple forums.

You cannot search inside an individual topic at this time.

Rating a topic is under the "Topic Options" dropdown. Rating a member is done from their profile screen.

To add more things besides each post would currently take a template modification, would be fairly simple and could be requested at ubbdev.com.

Yes, you can make 5 custom profile fields. These can be setup on the Registration Settings -> Registration Screen Tab in the control panel.

Show user avatars for anon users is set under Display Options -> General -> Topic Display Options.

You can't rate individual user posts at this time. Only the user or the topic itself.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

So much for saving Rick some time... laugh

Some questions, what are post islands?

Post Islands aka content islands are the boxes you see on the left and right - you can create your own and put whatever content you'd like in them. See my forum for an example of placing Google or other ads. See: CP > Custom Islands

Can I get RSS news to a specified forum?

You can set up RSS feeds for any/all forums. See: CP > RSS Feeds

Can I search inside a topic?

You can search specific forums or all forums. Also search by Member. You might be able to search a particular thread if you include the thread title with your search term. I think Search needs a little more work, but I'm hoping it'll be fine-tuned as the software grows.

I have put member ratings and topic ratings on, where do I rate a topic? I have turned it on in the ACP, but I don't see any "Rate Topic" nor "Rate Member".

At the top of each thread you'll see a "Rate this Topic" pulldown. I don't have "Rate Member" enabled, but I assume it'd be in the pulldown when clicking on the person's name next to a post. (There are a few neat shortcuts in those pulldowns, actually)

Can I get more stuff to show beside each post? Such as MSN/AIM or something simular or custom profile fields or fields that user has edited?

All those fields are displayed in a person's profile. You can pretty easily add them under their names in posts with edits to the appropriate templates.

Can I make custom profile fields?

There is space for a few extra fields already built in. Check out your own profile options and preferences.

How to for example hide avatars for guests? Where do I find that permission system?

Hmmm... can't seem to find that for only Guest users. I thought it was in an earlier version. But you may be able to set that in Group permissions?

Also is there a rating system for user's post? Can I show the rating/karma beside each post?

Just Topics and Member Ratings at this point. I don't even use Member Ratings because it could cause ill-will and hurt feelings. I'm sure the same about Post Ratings, if it was an option.

Last edited by jgeoff; 12/20/2006 3:09 PM. Reason: Doh! lol

UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
A
journeyman
journeyman
A Offline
Thanks for the answers.

Well I mean to fetch RSS data from an outside source and make new threads each time. For example lets say news from BBC News, and each time a new entry is posted at BBC News then it will create a new topic with the data in the specified forum.

How to make a site navigation as in this portal?

What is advanced support? So If I buy the cheapest license, then I get no support?

Last edited by Alexander; 12/20/2006 3:10 PM.
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

You can probably fetch RSS news and post them in a custom content island. As for it actually creating new threads, that'd probably take a major hack - if even possible at all.

You mean a site map, or?

What is advanced support? So If I buy the cheapest license, then I get no support?

You get the same support you're getting right now included. wink Advance Support would be for more complex issues which Rick could better explain...

(I'm afraid to reply now thinking Rick already has. laugh )

UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Oh and just to chime in real quick, I've been with the UBB since the late 90's, and experianced several authors over several company names and a couple of products... Keep in mind that this was well before several of the competing products where even a twinkle in their authors eyes.

A
journeyman
journeyman
A Offline

You mean a site map, or?

Alright. Thanks for the answers.

Nah, I mean the "Purchase" and all the portal navigation links in the portal.

Gizmo, what do you mean with that? tongue

Last edited by Alexander; 12/20/2006 4:55 PM.
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
You can probably fetch RSS news and post them in a custom content island. As for it actually creating new threads, that'd probably take a major hack - if even possible at all.
we had something like this in the initial beta, it wasn't that large of a "hack" it was actually a fairly easy update; but it hasn't worked "well" since like Beta4

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Add a new custom island, and assign it where you want it to be (under your portal settings)

A
journeyman
journeyman
A Offline
Originally Posted by Gizmo
Add a new custom island, and assign it where you want it to be (under your portal settings)

Okey. Thank you.

Might come with more questions.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Might come with more questions.
I count on it wink...

I'm working on styles though, so any responses from me may take a while :x

I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Well I mean to fetch RSS data from an outside source and make new threads each time. For example lets say news from BBC News, and each time a new entry is posted at BBC News then it will create a new topic with the data in the specified forum.

Would be nice smile - I can think of a few sites that generate nice rss feeds, that would be good for an automated forum.

Ian #171065 12/24/2006 9:52 PM
A
journeyman
journeyman
A Offline
I got some new ones.

Why are UBB Threads so expensive??

$229 per license and $125 for upgrades (that is insane!). I mean come on, the upgrade price is insane and also the first license price!

Last edited by Alexander; 12/24/2006 9:55 PM.
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Why are UBB Threads so expensive??

$229 per license and $125 for upgrades (that is insane!). I mean come on, the upgrade price is insane and also the first license price!

Why are Mercedes more expensive than Subarus? wink

If you look beyond price and consider features and support, you'll find it very competitive I think.

UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
The main reason is we have some things, like the portal, that other software doesn't include or that you have to pay extra for. We're not a new company, so our pricing was never set to undercut anyone. We might not do as many new sales as some of the cheaper competitors but we have a good track record with return customers, either renewing or buying more licenses. This allows us to focus more on what our current customers want instead of what we need to do to attract new customers.

Rick #171070 12/24/2006 10:33 PM
A
journeyman
journeyman
A Offline
Well, the standard license doesn't include advanced support, what exactly does it mean?

If I buy the software, and after the year then can I still use it, if I don't payed for updates.

So it is a lifetime license?

Last edited by Alexander; 12/24/2006 10:34 PM.
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Advanced support is only necessary if there is some technical issue that can't be resolved by normal means. For example if someone is having some type of an issue that they just can't figure out even with standard help via a ticket and forum, and they want me to login to their server and debug it for them, then that would fall into Advanced Support.

Advanced support is pretty rare, out of all of our tickets and help on the forum I maybe have a couple a month.

Yes, the license for the version you currently have installed at any time does not expire, it's good for life. You only need to renew if your access has expired and you want to download a newer version.

Rick #171077 12/25/2006 12:22 AM
A
journeyman
journeyman
A Offline
Alright. Thanks for the answers Rick. smile
Can you get discount on the upgrade?

Last edited by Alexander; 12/25/2006 12:23 AM.
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

Upgrades are optional, not required.

Unlike other bills you may have, this one only requires future payments if you want them. wink

UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Can you get discount on the upgrade?
AFAIK the only discounts are on bulk licenses; but this would be a better question for sales versus the lead programmer.

Upgrades are optional, not required.
though it may be prudent to state that some security issues may arise where an upgrade would be noted as critical, although rare

A
journeyman
journeyman
A Offline
So security fixes and bug fixes aren't free to somewhat "old releases"? So you have to pay for the upgrade for security and bug fixes?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
"bugfix releases" are generally new versions; I have heard in the past of people getting a critical bugfix release through the support desk when their license had expired.

Gizmo #171125 12/25/2006 10:39 AM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
It's also good to keep in mind that Rick has stated that he plans on the major releases to be pushed out regularly, which means major features added quickly and more often than in the past, so you could easily see several major revisions within a simple 2 month period in which bugfixes would also be pushed out for.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Havenofsobriety), 458 guests, and 91 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29