Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
journeyman
journeyman
A Offline
Alright, I love UBB Threads, the look and everything. I am just afraid I will miss something from vBulletin or Invision Power Board (IPB) if I choose these board and I am not sure but maybe they have better permission controls. Is it something they have that UBB Thread hasn't?

Any tips or comments how UBB Threads is better than vBulletin and IPB, except the portal? I would love to hear some stuff why I should choose this forum over them. If I am honest, the default style on this forum is the only one of these I have seen that I like, I am not sure if I will be able to make a nice skin for and if it as customizable as vBulletin or IPB.

Also do you have a future roadmap for UBB Threads, so I know where the forum I am buying is going.

Would it be easy to do this? To make a new navigation link to Watched Topics and show when the latest post was added, should actually be default in UBB Threads. A single page just for Watched Topics, so you easily can get access to your subscribed content. Because it is somewhat hard to go to My Stuff > Watched Topics > My Watched Content > My Watched Topics.

Another small suggestion, why not just enter the previous edit reason text when editing the post again, so you don't have to enter it twice or again.

On active topics, can I add lets say "Active topics in x days or x weeks or x years?"?

A cool thing would be "Show my shoutbox comments" and in the shoutbox, show previous shouts if enabled by the admin.

How do I make a private topic? How does it works? Can I invite multiple recipients and kick them if I don't want them there anymore, lets say for collaboration etc.? Or kick any persons that I don't want to give access to anymore. ?

When I click the topic, why do I come to the 4th page instead of the 5th page which is the last post?

If I just want to reply, to none but just to the post, must I use quick reply then? Since if you click a reply button on someone's post, then you reply that person.

Can I add custom BB Code? Can I add flash content, such as YouTube videos?

Can I just give certain usergroups or users right to use an avatar, and specify different sizes for different users or usergroups? Can I turn animated GIFs for some people or usergroups on and for the others off? Can I give access to images in signature for some users and usergroups and some not? Is the permission system powerful in that way?

Last edited by Alexander; 12/25/2006 6:25 PM.
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
A few things that've come up lately:
1. Direct contact with developers.
2. No "funky" licensing.
3. a promised "faster" release cycle (which means more features/faster)
4. quick and percise support via the supportdesk, or this forum.
5. a large development community
6. me, because everyoe just loves me lol

Making a link in the navigation bar would be as simple as editing the template file (header.tmpl I believe).

The shoutbox currently purges data as it goes over the limit, so keeping a log of items isnt' a possibility.

A private topic is a private message, there are several ways, you can click on the users name on a normal post and select send pm rom the dropdown, or you can click send pm from their profile. You can add numerous people to the list by entering their name in the private topic box and clicking add. You can invite as many people (up to the limit set by the admin in the control panel) as you'd like to a private topic. I don't believe there is a current feature to kick people from a PT, though it would make a great feature request.

I think the 4th/5th topic thing may be a bug, are you sure that the last post on page4 was already read?

The quickreply box is always open, it';llautomatically attach itself to the last post unless you select quick reply (or reply) to anindividual post.

You can hack in just about anything you want, you get access to the core code with the UBB, no fancy encoding like with other products.

i think your permissions will take a while to be added in as a feature, but I believe rick is planning to increase the permission system at a later date

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
A
journeyman
journeyman
A Offline
Alright. Thanks Gizmo. I am just afraid that I won't have money for the upgrades in the long run. 5 years of upgrades are $625.

Also, please submit these request I showed you, and I would love the "Watched Topics" in the navigation, and kick participants.

I think it should be a button "New Private Topic", can be confusing that you have to find an user and click "PM" just to start a Private Topic.

Another great thing for the admin would be to turn or off Mark As Edited and also being able to select the Mark As Edited box as unselected as default, can be quite annoying to just uncheck it if you never write a reason.

Why is Convert license to Silver or Gold
Click Order for prices? Why not just show the price?

Also was the UBB Threads pricing extremely high for some years ago? So it is cheaper overall?

I also wonder if you offer some converters from other forum bulletin board software.

Just to ask again, will I still be able to download UBB Threads 6.x?

Why does Groupee have two products and not just one?

Can I show the last topics on an external HTML page easily for news etc from a specific category?

Last edited by Alexander; 12/25/2006 8:27 PM.
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Bear in mind that you do not need to renew your subscription every year - it is optional - you only need to renew when you wish to either get support or download an update etc.

Ian #171153 12/25/2006 8:37 PM
A
journeyman
journeyman
A Offline
I tried do "Total topics to to show per page: (default is 10)" to 100 and it said it is invalid, why is that? It seems like it is limited to 1-99, also posts per page, the admin should be able to set it unlimited. I am just replying in the quick reply box, however it says "Re: Ian", even though I didn't reply specifically to him.

Last edited by Alexander; 12/25/2006 8:40 PM.
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Originally Posted by Alexander
I tried do "Total topics to to show per page: (default is 10)" to 100 and it said it is invalid, why is that? I am just replying in the quick reply box, however it says "Re: Ian", even though I didn't reply specifically to him.

Try 35 for topics and posts, that's what mine are set at. I use this number as my forum's default because someone a while back on WebTV said it couldn't display more than that for them for some reason.

I don't have time right now to help w/ the other questions, sorry. Gotta run out again soon. Just had to get a quick fix. laugh

GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 5.6.40 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 (was 5.6.41-84.1) / Apache 2.4.54
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
I have all mine set to 99 - I prefer the longer length.

99 is the maximum without altering the code.

It says 're: Ian' as that was the last post in the thread at the time of posting....

Ian #171156 12/25/2006 8:49 PM
A
journeyman
journeyman
A Offline
Originally Posted by jgeoff
I tried do "Total topics to to show per page: (default is 10)" to 100 and it said it is invalid, why is that? I am just replying in the quick reply box, however it says "Re: Ian", even though I didn't reply specifically to him.

Try 35 for topics and posts, that's what mine are set at. I use this number as my forum's default because someone a while back on WebTV said it couldn't display more than that for them for some reason.

I don't have time right now to help w/ the other questions, sorry. Gotta run out again soon. Just had to get a quick fix. laugh

Alright, thanks for the answers.

Originally Posted by Ian
I have all mine set to 99 - I prefer the longer length.

99 is the maximum without altering the code.

It says 're: Ian' as that was the last post in the thread at the time of posting....

Well, yes, but it is still not accurate since I am just replying to the thread and I am not replying to you.

Also what about multiquote? Is it available or maybe as an add-on? Should be included by default of course.

Last edited by Alexander; 12/25/2006 8:50 PM.
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
You are - as I am the last post - if you wish to reply to someone else, you need to click on reply to that post smile

Ian #171160 12/26/2006 1:31 AM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
feature requests can be made anytime by posting in the feature/sugguestion forum.

As an admin you can edit the template files to make changes, this would include the "deticking of the mark as edited" box.

Convert license is greyed out as the price varies based on your license type. If you have a silver license, it costs less to upgrade to a gold license than from a standard license; hence why you have to click the box and login with your license, so a proper price can be displayed.

The UBB prices for UBB.Threads has remained about the same for quite the while.

There are converters in the member area, these are currently just for UBB.Threads6.5, UBB.Classic 6.7, and PHPBB. Rick has stated that the next converter on the block is the vBulletin one.

When you get access to the member area, you have full access to:
UBB.Classic 6.7.x Final
UBB.Threads 6.5.x Final
UBB.Threads 7.x Releases (and public betas)

Groupee has one downloadable product and one hosted product, the hosted product is for people who don't want to have to bother with maintenance, and the downloadable is for people who want more power.

There isn't a stock manner to display active topicson an external page, short of the recenttopics island; if you know how to code php/mysql it's relitively easy to make such an addon.

As ian noted, you only need to renew member area access when you want to download an update; you don't HAVE to renew member area access if you don't wnat to and it is always your choice to do so.

Your license is yours forever once you buy it, it's good for one operating installation at a time, you can use the software indefinately (unlike some other license-ware forum solutions).

Also, if you depend on search engines for traffic, not to mention if you don't want to be hectic on your server resources), i'd keep total topics to show per page under 15 or so (10-25 is good for search engine food).

If you use the quick reply, and don't reply specifically to a post (using its quick reply button) it will attach your post to the last post on the thread (for threaded-mode compatability).

I'm not sure what you mean by multiquote though...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
it says "Re: Ian", even though I didn't reply specifically to him.

It's gonna say Re: Someone regardless of how you reply. Personally, I don't even notice those links -- I pretty much only assume someone is replying to a specific person when they quote that person directly... Maybe that's just me, tho...

GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 5.6.40 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 (was 5.6.41-84.1) / Apache 2.4.54
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
A
journeyman
journeyman
A Offline
Alright, thanks for the answers. With multiquote I mean the ability to quote multiple persons.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
There already is a multiquote, but it only works for the Quick Reply

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Alright, thanks for the answers. With multiquote I mean the ability to quote multiple persons.

Originally Posted by Gizmo
There already is a multiquote, but it only works for the Quick Reply

A
journeyman
journeyman
A Offline
Alright. But isn't their an option to show multiquote within each post or something, maybe beside the quote button?

B
stranger
stranger
B Offline
As a newbee I wonder what an UBBTread 7-5-7 could be?

Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks
BorgHov

The uncomplicated Syma rc Helicopter...

Syma RC Helicopter
Ubb7.5.7 is just like this site.
With enhancements and or bug fixes to be 7.5.8

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Y
stranger
stranger
Y Offline

Hello,

i was wondering if someone runs a huge forum needed to know does this version and or the new one offer a news display option for like announcements when users log in?

Well that is a loaded question.
It depends on what your expectations are for that feature.
You have the portal page:
https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php
Which can be customized to what appears and if it is the default page.
you have global announcements that appear in every forum and you have rss feeds that can be placed on any page.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
As Ruben pointed out, the [url=https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/portal]Portal Page[url] can be setup to feed data from a forum to the Portal Page from within the control panel; you can even assign news graphics to accompany posts that feed the portal page.

Global announcements are a good way to make a posting that'll display at the top of every forum.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 396 guests, and 110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29